By Walt Hunter
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — CBS 3 was granted rare access by the FBI to its Command Center, for an exclusive “behind the scenes” look at the Joint Operations Center which is at the heart of security for the 4th of July Celebration.
Special Agent in Charge Ed Hanko told CBS 3’s Walt Hunter in an exclusive interview, “While we know in this city there are no specific threats, we nevertheless have to be vigilant and prepared.”
Hanko and Center Director Agent Thomas Duffy showed Hunter screens in the room which will take live intelligence feeds from all over the world.
Still other monitors will broadcast live pictures from cameras around the region.
“Basically from this one room, we can reach out anywhere in the world,” Agent Duffy explained.
When the room is fully staffed, dozens of FBI agents, associates and Philadelphia Police will be on alert, checking out anything suspicious.
“It may be 200 to 300 leads we have, everything has to be resolved,” Agent Hanko explained.”We just can’t missing anything.”
Only a hundred yards from the Federal Building on Independence Mall those celebrating the 4th most likely will have no idea tucked away inside the command post, agents and police will be working around the clock to make sure they are safe.
“I cant think of any better job,” Agent Duffy concluded, “Being in here and making sure our loved ones are safe.”
Check Out These Other Stories:
- Philadelphia Officials Craft Case For Long-Term Army-Navy Bid
- Supporters Of Mumia Abu-Jamal Protest His Medical Treatment In State Prison
- Green Party Candidate Jill Stein Petitions For PA Recount, Days Before Federal Deadline
- Kenney Slams Toll Brothers’ Plan To Double Height Of Jewelers’ Row Project
- Mound Of Old Televisions Growing At NJ County Site As Recycling Bill Sits On Christie’s Desk