SEWELL, N.J. (CBS) – A former World’s Ugliest Dog, who passed away last Thanksgiving, now has a scholarship that will carry on his name at Gloucester County College. (See Previous Story)
The $15,000 scholarship is in honor of Elwood, titled World’s Ugliest Dog in 2007. Elwood’s guardian Karen Quigley is set to sign the legal document 3 p.m. Monday in the College Center.
Back in May 2011, Quigley was the keynote speaker at GCC’s graduation. She held Elwood in her arms and spoke about his message of tolerance, giving back to others and embracing uniqueness.
This will be the first scholarship named in memory of a dog.
The Everyone Loves Elwood Memorial Scholarship is created for students who participate in helping animals and supporting students with special needs.
Quigley says, “Students who are eligible for the scholarship must be “active” participants in animal rescue and/or animal advocacy and the scholarship is designed to support Special Needs students, two of Elwood’s main messages.”
You may also be interested in these stories:
- University Says ‘Stop White People’ Event Was ‘Ironic’
- Possibly World’s Biggest Pearl Found Under A Bed
- Harambe Memes Prompt Cincinnati Zoo To Delete Twitter Accounts
- Crews Free Man Stuck Between Buildings After Bid To Impress Woman
- Jennifer Lawrence Is Once Again The Highest Paid Actress