West Philly Community Park Gets Major Makeover
By Justin Udo
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Dozens of volunteers packed in the East Parkside residence park in West Philadelphia Sunday to paint benches, flower boxes and a new mural — all in an effort to give the park a facelift.
At 85 years old, this was Calla Cousar’s first time painting a mural. She says being able to brighten up the community that she’s called home for a majority of her life brings a tear to her eyes:
“I really can’t describe it because I’m trying to keep my pressure down and all, but I am excited. I am truly happy to live to see this day.”
She adds she loved every minute of this experience and her contribution:
“I’m very proud of it, it’s a quilt pattern and it’s beautiful and I can’t wait to see it go up on the wall.”
Eight-year-old Michael was another volunteer who helped give the park a new look.
“I like art and I like painting,” he said.
The mural, commissioned by “Wawa Welcome America,” carries a theme of Black American quilts created before the Civil War and it’s titled “North Star Journey to Freedom.”
Officials say the mural should be up and ready for display by September.
- Fugitive Wanted For 2001 Murder In Tennessee Found Living Under Assumed Name In Delaware
- Bill Decriminalizing Small Amounts of Pot Gets Phila. City Council OK
- Woman Stabbed During Robbery In South Philadelphia Employment Agency
- Fumes Temporarily Evacuate Elementary School In North Philly
- Police: Lonely Pa. Man Made Repeated 911 Calls
- 1 Student Injured In Crash Involving School Bus In North Philly
- Pennsylvania State Trooper Killed In Ambush Laid To Rest
- Couple In Craigslist Slaying Get Life In Prison Without Parole
- Large Grant Put Toward Study On Needed Roosevelt Boulevard Improvements
- Another Nice Day!