West Philly Community Park Gets Major Makeover
By Justin Udo
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Dozens of volunteers packed in the East Parkside residence park in West Philadelphia Sunday to paint benches, flower boxes and a new mural — all in an effort to give the park a facelift.
At 85 years old, this was Calla Cousar’s first time painting a mural. She says being able to brighten up the community that she’s called home for a majority of her life brings a tear to her eyes:
“I really can’t describe it because I’m trying to keep my pressure down and all, but I am excited. I am truly happy to live to see this day.”
She adds she loved every minute of this experience and her contribution:
“I’m very proud of it, it’s a quilt pattern and it’s beautiful and I can’t wait to see it go up on the wall.”
Eight-year-old Michael was another volunteer who helped give the park a new look.
“I like art and I like painting,” he said.
The mural, commissioned by “Wawa Welcome America,” carries a theme of Black American quilts created before the Civil War and it’s titled “North Star Journey to Freedom.”
Officials say the mural should be up and ready for display by September.
- Weight Loss Apps Can Help Kids Make Healthier Food Choices
- Report: Blueberry Extract May Help Prevent Gum Disease
- Judge To Decide Whether Man Accused Of Making Facebook Threats Against Preschoolers Will Be Freed
- Fan Facing Backlash After One Direction Member Hit In Head At Philly Concert
- WEATHER: Final Day Of 5th Heat Wave Of The Summer
- Mother And Daughter Assaulted In Lawncrest Home Invasion
- Great Adventure’s Next Roller Coaster Unveiled
- Former Fire Department’s Treasurer Admits Embezzlement
- Jay Lloyd’s Getaway: Hurricane Hounded Getaway
- PA Senate To Consider Temporary Funding Later This Month