PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Chase Utley hit a two-run home run in the 14th inning, lifting the Philadelphia Phillies to a 5-3 victory over the Miami Marlins on Thursday night.
Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Giancarlo Stanton and Marcell Ozuna homered for Miami. The Marlins managed just two hits from the ninth inning on, however.
After the Phillies squandered chances to score in the 10th, 11th and 12th innings, Jimmy Rollins led off the 14th with an infield single. Utley followed by driving an 0-2 pitch from Chris Hatcher (0-1) deep into the seats in right field.
Utley was mobbed at home plate by his smiling teammates and met with a pie in the face while giving a TV interview afterward. The game lasted 4 hours, 41 minutes and the teams combined to use 13 pitchers.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
You may also be interested in these Sports stories:
- Red Wings Beat Flyers 5-4 In Shootout To Halt 10-Game Skid
- Phillies’ Jake Arrieta Ready For Season To Get Underway
- Villanova’s Wright, Sixers’ Brown Formed Friendship In West Bank
- Villanova Faces Tough Test Against West Virginia In Sweet 16
- Former Steelers Polamalu, Ward To Help Launch New Football League