Lifeguards Pull 5-Year-Old To Safety After Near-drowning At Flourtown Pool
By Walt Hunter
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Managers at the Flourtown Summer Day Camp, adjoining the Flourtown Swim Club in Montgomery County, are praising their lifeguards with taking fast action to help a 5-year-old swimmer who, they say, was “in distress” around 2 p.m. in the camp’s four-foot deep pool.
As police and ambulance units were notified, guards immediately jumped in and pulled the frightened swimmer to safety, pool managers and an eyewitness said.
Eyewitness Susan Keightly says the child was not submerged and was alert and talking as guards removed him from the pool. Managers say he was then taken by ambulance to a nearby hospital to be checked out as a precaution.
“The child is fine,” pool manager Nick D’Orazio told CBS 3’s Walt Hunter. “I am very happy with the way it was handled.”
D’Orazio says more than 100 children enjoy the pool and other activities at the day damp each day.
The camp opened for the summer on Monday.
Must Read Today’s Top Talkers
- Woman From Sudan Who Faced Death Over Faith Scheduled To Arrive In Philadelphia
- Police: Juveniles Break Into Montgomery Co. Home, Bake Some Pot Brownies
- 5-Year-Old Boy From Pa. Creates And Designs His Own App
- And The 2014 Unhealthiest Restaurant Items In America Are…
- Kevin Sabett: ‘It’s Ironic That We’re Pushing Against Smoking So Hard, Yet We’re Ready To Give Marijuana A Free Pass’