Lifeguards Pull 5-Year-Old To Safety After Near-drowning At Flourtown Pool
By Walt Hunter
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Managers at the Flourtown Summer Day Camp, adjoining the Flourtown Swim Club in Montgomery County, are praising their lifeguards with taking fast action to help a 5-year-old swimmer who, they say, was “in distress” around 2 p.m. in the camp’s four-foot deep pool.
As police and ambulance units were notified, guards immediately jumped in and pulled the frightened swimmer to safety, pool managers and an eyewitness said.
Eyewitness Susan Keightly says the child was not submerged and was alert and talking as guards removed him from the pool. Managers say he was then taken by ambulance to a nearby hospital to be checked out as a precaution.
“The child is fine,” pool manager Nick D’Orazio told CBS 3’s Walt Hunter. “I am very happy with the way it was handled.”
D’Orazio says more than 100 children enjoy the pool and other activities at the day damp each day.
The camp opened for the summer on Monday.
Must Read Today’s Top Talkers
- Starbucks: Prices For Some Drinks To Go Up By 5 To 20 Cents
- Amazon Pushing Prime Service With Day Of Deals, ‘Prime Day’
- Study: Napping During The Workday Could Result In Better Productivity, Safety
- 140 Pairs Of Underwear Stolen From Northeastern Pa. Store In 4 Heists
- Police Searching For Man Who Robbed Popular Cobbs Creek Cheesesteak Shop 3 Times