PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – You’ve heard of panic rooms, but what about a panic button for your cell phone?
Amnesty International has introduced a Panic Button application that turns your cell phone into a secret alarm when trouble arises.
The Panic Button, only available to Android users, works by selecting three contacts you trust who are able to act quickly in an emergency. The button then sends a message to the chosen contacts when activated.
However, the app does not guarantee a response from your trusted companions, so the company suggests users talk to the chosen contacts first to ensure there is a plan in place in case of an emergency.
The company says, “Panic Button is a useful tool to alert your network quickly and discretely in an emergency. It is not a fail-safe security tool.”
The app sends an emergency SMS to your three chosen contacts, along with a map link with GPS coordinates when activated. But again, it is important to keep in mind it is only effective when the contacts are in a position to act.
For more information on Panic Button, click here.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- These States Have Introduced Bills To Protect Drivers Who Run Over Protesters
- Steve Bannon Returns To Breitbart After Ouster From White House
- Powerball Jackpot Soars To $535 Million
- Too Much Standing Linked To Heart Disease, Study Says
- Man Tries To Kill Lice By Lighting Rental Home On Fire, Arrested For Arson