Weekend Box Office Report: ’22 Jump Street’ Jumps To #1
By Bill Wine
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Sequels were equal to the task at multiplexes over the weekend, as two new followups got off to strong starts and dominated at the box office.
22 Jump Street, the sequel to 21 Jump Street, once again starring Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum, jumped to a first-place finish by earning an estimated $60-million.
Meanwhile, the strong runnerup, with a total of $50–million, was the sequel How to Train Your Dragon 2, which flew to a second-place finish on its debut weekend.
Holdovers rounded out the top five: Maleficent and Edge of Tomorrow were third and fourth with $19-million and $16-million, respectively, while last weekend’s leader, The Fault in Our Stars, dropped all the way to fifth with slightly under $15–million.
Overall, industry-wide totals, despite the unusual occurrence of two titles topping the $50-million mark, were slightly behind those of the counterpart weekend last year.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Atlantic City Planning For Another Glorious Summer Season, Officials Say
- Prince William, Kate Middleton Announce Name Of Royal Princess
- Weekend Box Office Report: Super Debut For ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’
- Spring In Full Swing At The South Street Spring Festival
- It’s A Girl! Duchess Of Cambridge Gives Birth To Princess In London