By Bill Wine
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Sequels were equal to the task at multiplexes over the weekend, as two new followups got off to strong starts and dominated at the box office.
22 Jump Street, the sequel to 21 Jump Street, once again starring Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum, jumped to a first-place finish by earning an estimated $60-million.
Meanwhile, the strong runnerup, with a total of $50–million, was the sequel How to Train Your Dragon 2, which flew to a second-place finish on its debut weekend.
Holdovers rounded out the top five: Maleficent and Edge of Tomorrow were third and fourth with $19-million and $16-million, respectively, while last weekend’s leader, The Fault in Our Stars, dropped all the way to fifth with slightly under $15–million.
Overall, industry-wide totals, despite the unusual occurrence of two titles topping the $50-million mark, were slightly behind those of the counterpart weekend last year.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Bieber And Beyond: Five Shows To See This May In Philadelphia
- At Tony Award Nominations Tuesday, All Eyes On ‘Hamilton’
- “The Talk”, “The Price Is Right” Win At 43rd Annual Daytime Emmy Awards
- The Jungle Book Keeps Crown At Box Office
- Royal Family Release Photos Of Princess Charlotte Ahead Of 1st Birthday