Phillies Place Tony Gwynn Jr. On Bereavement List
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Following the passing of his father Tony Gwynn on Monday, the Phillies have placed outfielder Tony Gwynn Jr. on the bereavement list, Senior Vice President and General Manager Ruben Amaro Jr. announced today.
To fill his spot on the Phillies 25-man roster, outfielder Aaron Altherr has been recalled from double-A Reading.
The 23-year-old Altherr has hit .245 with 11 doubles, one triple, four home runs and 23 RBI in 52 games with Reading this season. He had a 12-game hitting streak at the time of his recall, over which he was batting .417 (20-48) with six extra-base hits (4 2B, 3B, HR) and nine RBI. Altherr began the season on the disabled list with a right wrist injury. He will wear #40 in his first-ever stint in the major leagues.
Gwynn Jr. tweeted regarding the death of his father, “Today I lost my Dad, my best friend and my mentor. I’m gonna miss u so much pops. I’m gonna do everything in my power to continue to make u proud!”
Check Out These Sports Stories:
- Mourners Gather To Remember Eagles Legend Chuck Bednarik
- Flyers Recall Brandon Manning
- Philadelphia Joins Boston, Montreal In Hosting Baseball Hack Day This Saturday
- Mitchell & Ness Unveils Top-Selling Throwback Jerseys By State
- Cole Hamels Tosses 5 Scoreless Innings Against Blue Jays