by Matt Leon
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — After a 4-2 homestand which wrapped up with a 3-0 loss to the Cubs yesterday, the Phillies will now spend the next week on the road. They open a seven-game road trip tonight in Atlanta.
The Phillies come into this game with a 29-38 record. They are last in National League East, 6 1/2 games behind the first-place Braves. Despite the lofty status in the division, the Braves are only four games over .500 at 36-32 and since a 17-7 start, Atlanta has played sub-.500 baseball.
Cole Hamels will make the start for the Phillies. The left-hander is 2-3 this season with a 3.07 ERA. He has been on a roll as of late. He brings a streak of 16 2/3 scoreless innings pitched into this game. In three starts this month he has a 0.40 ERA and in his last seven starts, his ERA is 1.78.
In his career against the Braves, Hamels is 14-8 with a 3.54 ERA.
Atlanta will counter on the hill with young right-hander Julio Teheran. He is having a very good season for the Braves, 6-4 in 14 starts with a 2.41 ERA.
KYW’s Matt Leon spoke with Kevin McAlpin of the Braves Radio Network to get a scout on the first-place Braves.
You can follow Matt on Twitter @mattleonkyw.
You may also be interested in these Sports stories:
- MLB Outfielder Matt Szczur To Lead South Jersey Christmas Parade
- Report: DeSean Jackson ‘Intrigued’ By Possible Return To Philly
- Eagles Team Headlines: Pederson’s Job Security and Wentz’s Mechanics Nothing To Worry About Yet
- Eagles Expecting Maximum Effort In Game Against Washington
- Local High School Football Teams Look To End Seasons With Championship Wins