NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — Authorities say six people have been killed in a fast-moving fire that roared through a single-family home in New Jersey’s largest city.
The Essex County prosecutor’s office says the blaze broke out at around 4 a.m. Sunday in Newark. The fire soon spread to another residence, and both homes were destroyed.
Spokesman Thomas Fennelly says the fire doesn’t appear to be suspicious, but the cause remains under investigation.
Fennelly says everyone in the second home managed to escape safely.
Authorities say it appears some of the victims are related.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Check Out These Other Stories:
- Sales Tax Hike For Property Tax Relief Dropped From Pa. Budget Talks
- Camden County Prosecutor Investigating Fatal Shooting Involving Two Police Officers
- Weather: In Depth Winter Weather Outlook For Our Region
- Police: Teen To Be Charged As Adult In State Trooper Shooting, One Suspect Being Sought
- Police: Body Found Behind South Philadelphia Walmart