Fire Destroys Toll House Tavern In Delaware County
By Jenn Bernstein
NORWOOD, Pa. (CBS) — A popular Norwood restaurant burned down overnight.
The Toll House Tavern, located on Chester Pike, was destroyed when flames ripped through the building early Thursday morning.
Norwood Fire Chief Chris Givens said the fire department got the alarm for an active grease fire around 12:20 a.m.
He said a type of sprinkler system in the kitchen had put out the first fire, but it flared up again and the second time jumped to the system’s ventilation system, and ran almost the entire ceiling.
Chief Givens said the deep fryer may have been hot enough to ignite flames.
“We had a major roof problem and we had a collapse,” said Chief Givens. “So we evacuated everyone out of the building and did exterior firefighting.”
They were able to get the fire under control in about 30 minutes.
One firefighter suffered a minor injury when he twisted his knee on a hose. He was as transported to Tower Hospital, but was released.
The Toll House Tavern opened in 1961 and is family-owned.
Chief Givens said the restaurant is a staple in the borough of Norwood.
“We used to eat there when I was a kid, spaghetti dinner on Tuesday nights.”
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Two Weeks After Storm, Debris Clogs Washington Township Streets
- Officials: Tree-Killing Beetle Detected In 3 NJ Counties
- New Law In Delaware Adds Electronic Smoking Devices To Indoor Smoking Ban
- I-Team Investigates: “Passing The Trash;” How Some Pedophiles Move From One Classroom To Another
- Community Paint Day Held At CHOP For Mural Honoring Visit Of Pope Francis