WINSLOW Twp., N.J., (CBS) — Police say there have been two bear sightings reported in Winslow Township, Camden County on Wednesday.
The first sighting was along the Wharton Ave in the Elm section of the township this morning.
The second sighting was at about 4 p.m. in the Waterford Works section of the township. This sighting was confirmed by the police.
The bear was last seen on Pennington Ave crossing into Waterford Township. Police say this does not mean that the bear may not wander back into Winslow at any given time.
Winslow Township Police offer the following facts for homeowners:
- Take steps to avoid attracting bears with food or garbage is the best way to prevent black bears from becoming a nuisance near your home.
- Store all you garbage in containers with tight fitting lids and place them along the inside walls of your garage or in the basement, sturdy shed or other secure area.
- Wash garbage containers with disinfectant solution regularly to remove odors.
- Put out garbage on collection day, not he night before.
- Clean outdoor grills and utensils thoroughly after each use and store grills securely.
- Do not place meat or any sweet foods in compost piles.
- Avoid feeding birds in an area frequented by bears.
- Pick up fruit or nuts that fall from trees and discard it in garbage containers with tight fitting lids.
If you spot a bear, immediately notify Winslow Township Police at (609) 561-3300 or the Division of Fish and Wildlife at 1 (877) 927-6337.
For more information on what to do if you encounter a bear and additional facts, visit the New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife’s website: http://www.njfishandwildlife.com.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Advocate For Sex Trade Victims Reacts To New Bail Policy
- Public Health Officials: More Than 50 Percent Of Gun Owners Do Not Safely Store Their Guns
- North Philly School Students Go See Private Screening Of ‘Black Panther’
- Local Woman Becoming Must-Have Stylist For Celebrities
- Social Networks Cracking Down On Hoaxes Following Florida High School Shooting