Two Bear Sightings Reported In Winslow Township
WINSLOW Twp., N.J., (CBS) — Police say there have been two bear sightings reported in Winslow Township, Camden County on Wednesday.
The first sighting was along the Wharton Ave in the Elm section of the township this morning.
The second sighting was at about 4 p.m. in the Waterford Works section of the township. This sighting was confirmed by the police.
The bear was last seen on Pennington Ave crossing into Waterford Township. Police say this does not mean that the bear may not wander back into Winslow at any given time.
Winslow Township Police offer the following facts for homeowners:
- Take steps to avoid attracting bears with food or garbage is the best way to prevent black bears from becoming a nuisance near your home.
- Store all you garbage in containers with tight fitting lids and place them along the inside walls of your garage or in the basement, sturdy shed or other secure area.
- Wash garbage containers with disinfectant solution regularly to remove odors.
- Put out garbage on collection day, not he night before.
- Clean outdoor grills and utensils thoroughly after each use and store grills securely.
- Do not place meat or any sweet foods in compost piles.
- Avoid feeding birds in an area frequented by bears.
- Pick up fruit or nuts that fall from trees and discard it in garbage containers with tight fitting lids.
If you spot a bear, immediately notify Winslow Township Police at (609) 561-3300 or the Division of Fish and Wildlife at 1 (877) 927-6337.
For more information on what to do if you encounter a bear and additional facts, visit the New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife’s website: http://www.njfishandwildlife.com.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- New Federal Grant Aims To Improve Safety Along Always-Treacherous Roosevelt Blvd.
- Miss Tootsie’s On South Street Celebrates 15 Years In Business
- Report Finds South Jersey Town Could Benefit From County Run Police Department
- Council At-Large Primary Winner Skirts Questions Of A Deal
- With The Start Of Summer, Unemployment Help Starting To Take Shape In AC