eye-3-yellow-3d-2-new-logo philly_kyw_new philly_94wip_new 35h_cbssportsrad_philly philly_wpht_new

Local

House Fire Displaces Camden Family

nicole-brewer-web Nicole Brewer
Nicole Brewer joined CBS 3 and The CW Philly’s Eyewitness News tea...
Read More

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

By Nicole Brewer

CAMDEN, N.J. (CBS) — A precious baby boy is safe and sound after fire and smoke filled his Camden, N.J. home in the 600 block of Randolph Street around 3:30 Friday morning.

“I heard sirens coming down street, looked up and saw my neighbor’s house on fire,” said neighbor Migdalia Maldonado.

With eight family members inside, Roger Johnson says he was first to smell smoke, then tried to put out the flames.

“I got some blankets, ran upstairs, got some water … realized I wouldn’t have time and ran out.”

Meanwhile, working smoke detectors alerted the rest of the family to the fire, allowing them to get out safely.

Joseph Seagraves, the baby’s father, says he installed them just last night.

“I’m glad I made that decision and God was with me when I made that decision,” Seagraves explained.

It’s one that may have saved lives, after authorities say an electrical fire, possibly started by a heater in the basement, put the family in harm’s way and caused significant damage to the home.

While all of the occupants made it out, the infant was taken to Our Lady of Lourdes Medical Center, examined and released.

“It’s a big relief because he is my pride and joy and I want to make sure everything’s okay with him, and the whole family. Just glad we all made it out safely.”

The American Red Cross Camden Burlington Chapter responded to the fire event, providing emergency assistance for food, clothing, lodging and infant supplies to the family.

Top Content On CBSPhilly

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 32,017 other followers