SOUTH TOMS RIVER, N.J. (AP) — Investigators say an electrical issue sparked a southern New Jersey house fire that killed a woman and sent six firefighters to the hospital.
Ocean County prosecutors also announced Tuesday that the blaze has been ruled an accident.
Thirty-five-year-old Dianna Norwood was killed in the fire, which broke out around 5:30 p.m. Monday in her South Toms River home (See Previous Story). An autopsy performed Tuesday determined that she died from smoke inhalation.
Prosecutors say the blaze was caused by the failure of “energized electrical equipment” in the home’s basement.
Five of the six injured firefighters had been released from the hospital by Tuesday afternoon. They mostly suffered minor burns and smoke inhalation, though one firefighter had glass in his eye.
The firefighter who remains hospitalized did not suffer life-threatening injuries.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)