Bail Set At $1 Million For Man Accused In Hammer Attack
By Robin Culverwell
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Bail has been set at $1 million for the man police say attacked another man with a hammer in West Philadelphia last week.
KYW’s Robin Culverwell reports the attorney representing the suspect says police have the wrong man.
Nathaniel Maybin Jr. turned himself in Tuesday after being identified as the suspect in last Thursday’s hammer attack near 49th & Lancaster in West Philadelphia.
Now his attorney says Maybin is not the attacker – that he’s physically taller and darker complected than the attacker seen in surveillance video.
“We did the right thing we surrendered him, but this is the wrong kid. This guy is no more involved in this crime than you or I were,” Attorney Guy Sciolla said.
Sciolla says a phone found near the crime scene belongs to Maybin’s father who had been at a nearby deli just hours previously.
The victim is said to face a lengthy road to recovery.