Pennsylvania State Trooper Cruiser Involved In Blue Route Crash
Get Breaking News First
MARPLE TOWNSHIP, Pa. (CBS) –- A multi-vehicle crash shutdown all northbound lanes of the Blue Route in Delaware County for several hours Thursday morning.
The crash happened at about 5:15 a.m. along I-476 northbound at the off-ramp for Route 3.
The crash involved four vehicles, including a Pennsylvania State Trooper cruiser with two Troopers inside.
According to Pennsylvania State Police, the Troopers were initially called to the scene for a one-car crash. The cruiser was pulled to the side of the road with its emergency lights on.
As the Troopers were investigating the initial crash, another car crashed and came to a stop in the travel lanes. A box truck then swerved to avoid the car in the travel lanes and lost control. The box truck then struck a Mercedes that had stopped to avoid hitting another motorist.
The box truck then overturned on its driver’s side and slid on the highway towards the Troopers who were out of their vehicle at this time. Investigators say the box truck rolled over the top of one of the Troopers.
The box truck then pushed the Mercedes into the police cruiser.
All involved, including the Troopers, escaped with minor injuries.
Traffic in the northbound lanes was shut down until about 8:15 a.m.
The cause of the crash remains under investigation, although black ice is believed to have played a role.
Black ice is believed to be responsible for dozens of accidents that occurred throughout the region.
- The Schuylkill Expressway westbound at Girard Avenue was slowed due to an overturned vehicle.
- A stretch of the MLK Drive was closed due to icy conditions.
- Gulph Road at Freedom Drive in Upper Merion was closed due to an overturned vehicle.
- US 1 at State Road in Drexel Hill was closed due to several accidents.
- An overturned vehicle on the 95 southbound ramp to Route 413 in Bucks County.