Winter Storm Impacts Trash And Recycling Collections In Philadelphia
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — The Philadelphia Streets Department is preparing for the second winter storm event of the week expected to begin tonight.
The Streets Department will deploy 120 pieces of equipment overnight to treat city streets. Property owners are strongly advised to pre-treat their steps and sidewalks this evening prior to the start of the storm.
Trash and recycling collections in rear driveways have been suspended for the week of February 3rd.
Philadelphia residents who regularly set out their items in the rear driveway, must set them out at the curb for pickup. Citizens should set their materials out on their regularly scheduled collection day.
During snow events, the Streets Department says citizens should expect delays. Although crews are working to collect items, snow and ice can hamper efforts. Please leave items at curbside.
The Streets Department urges citizens to employ the following tips for successful snow and ice management:
· Apply commercial de-icer to your stairs and sidewalks early.
· Allow extra time while driving and maintain safe driving distances.
· Use caution when navigating over bridges and overpasses where slippery spots may develop.
· Residents should park their cars at least 20 feet from street corners to allow our salt and plow trucks to turn the corners to treat all streets.
· Check on your elderly neighbors and family.
· Stay tuned to local media for further updates for weather and traffic reports.