WILMINGTON, Del. (CBS)—An elementary school was evacuated Thursday morning after firefighters received reports of a natural gas odor.
There were not any gas readings recorded in Shortlidge Elementary School or inside area homes, but as a precaution the fire department evacuated the students, busing them to Warner Elementary School.
Fire crews conducted a search of the streets and homes in a four block radius using metering devices, but no gas readings were recorded.
Delmarva Gas Division assisted the Wilmington Fire Department in locating the natural gas leak, determining that the leak was under the street in the 100 block of West 18th.
The leak posed no hazard to the surrounding residents and school.
The situation was soon placed under control and turned over to Delmarva Gas Division.
The 100 Block of West 18th Street currently remains closed to all traffic while repairs are being made.