By Paul Kurtz
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — A firehouse in Roxborough remains closed while investigators trace the source of toxic fumes that sickened some firefighters.
Engine 66, on Ridge Avenue, was evacuated and shut down about two weeks ago, according to Captain Clifford Gilliam.
“That station is still closed while a plan is being developed to remediate the fumes coming into the station,” he told KYW Newsradio today.
The fumes are mostly gasoline vapors. However, Local 22 president Joe Schulle says investigators also discovered that a silent killer has invaded the station:
“The Water Department and the gas company actually did tests underground — they bored holes in the street — and they showed elevated levels of carbon monoxide (with) the vapors. But they haven’t been able to determine as of yet where the carbon monoxide is coming from.”
One firefighter had to be hospitalized and treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.