By Matt Rivers

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — An initial court appearance today for a young woman desperately trying to keep custody of her daughter. (See Related Story)

Monae Mosee almost died earlier this month after a hit-and-run accident.

This is the first time we’ve seen them all together, husband Tyrell, wife Monae, and their daughter Aaliyah, flanked by their extended family.

Monae was severely injured by a hit-and-run driver while on her way to visit her daughter in Children’s Hospital October 10th.

Aaliyah was born prematurely and was admitted for high sodium levels.

Mother and daughter recovered, but when Aaliyah was released, she didn’t go home.

The Department of Human Services instead placed her with her grandmother. It said the girl’s parents couldn’t provide medical information and didn’t visit enough during her hospital stay.  In family court Friday, the department argued Aaliyah should go into foster care.

“It’s very frustrating, sometimes I don’t even go to sleep when I think about what is going on with my daughter,” mother Monae Mosee said.

The family denies all claims of neglect.  Coincidentally, a DHS report from the day of Monae’s accident said Aaliyah was not at imminent risk of placement, in other words, being taken from her parents.

But DHS apparently changed its mind between then and now.  No decisions were made Friday. A judge said DHS didn’t bring the medical documentation it needed to support its claims.  The family says they have nothing to hide.

“Get the medical records from CHOP when Aaliyah was in the hospital, or statements, or whatever we need to do, and then we’ll see who the liar here is,” father Tyrell Palmer said.

“I’m hoping for them to rule in our favor,” Mosee said.

A follow-up hearing is scheduled for next week. In the meantime, Aaliyah remains at her grandmother’s house. The judge did life a visitation ban today, meaning Tyrell and Monae can now see their daughter.

More From CBS Philly

Full Cosby Coverage
Latest Forecast

Watch & Listen LIVE