Horsham House Fire Displaces 2 Families
Get Breaking News First
By Jenn Bernstein
HORSHAM, Pa. (CBS) — Two families are displaced after an early morning fire ripped through their homes on Brownstone Lane in Horsham.
Fire Marshal George Fida says the fire started in an attached shed to one of the houses, where a generator was running.
The homeowner had just turned it on when the fire occurred.
“The gentleman, upon starting the generator did notice the fire, tried to extinguish it with a garden hose and a hand-held fire extinguisher, but was unsuccessful,” said Fida.
The fire then quickly spread to a connected home.
We’re told the electricity was shut off to the property where the fire began Tuesday.
Fire officials say the homeowner was using the generator to keep his fridge running overnight, until the issue could be solved the next day.
Both families and their pets were able to get out of the homes thanks to working smoke alarms.
Horsham’s Deputy Coordinator for Emergency Management arranged for hotel rooms and started insurance claims for both families.