UPDATE: 1 Injured In Explosion At House In Somerton
Get Breaking News First
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – A 40-year-old man is hospitalized with second degree burns after an explosion at a Northeast Philadelphia house Wednesday night.
The incident was reported at about 8:19 p.m. at the 2000 block of Foster Street in the Somerton section.
Chopper 3 HD was over the scene as the Philadelphia Fire Department, Philadelphia Police, and PGW crews responded to the house.
According to authorities, the man told police he was cleaning his oven when he lit a cigarette, prompting an explosion.
“We heard an explosion, and we look out and I mean we saw a window laying on top of vehicle right next to the house,” said a neighbor.
Firefighters extinguished a small fire. PGW crews found high levels of gas and immediately shut it down. The Philadelphia Bomb Squad was also called in as a precaution.
The victim was taken to Temple University Hospital with second degree burns to his face and hands. He is listed in stable condition.
The incident was placed under control shortly after 8:30 p.m.
Stay with CBSPhilly.com for the latest information on this developing story…