By Elizabeth Hur

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – An attempted traffic stop ends in a deadly police involved shooting.

A semi-automatic handgun and a revolver, both loaded, according to police were pulled from the suspect’s car. What troubles investigators even more — one of their own allegedly came face to face with one of the loaded weapons while trying to make an arrest.

It happened shortly after 7:30 p.m. Tuesday in North Philadelphia.

A woman, who claimed to be the sister of the man killed, did not talk on camera but off camera told reporters her brother was not armed. Police, however, maintain the evidence speaks for itself.

Chief Inspector Scott Small explained, “They recovered, which is still on location, the suspect semi-automatic handgun which is loaded. There is a magazine in the weapon in the passenger seat where the suspect collapsed. Upon further inspection, we saw that there is a second weapon in the front seat of the vehicle which appears to be a revolver and also loaded.”

According to police, it began with a 22nd District officer trying to make a traffic stop. But police say the driver of the Buick LeSabre fled, first hitting a minivan with four people, including children, inside then crashed into building near 22nd and Glenwood Streets.

“Our helicopter just happened to be in the area and they began following this vehicle. The aviation unit actually saw the vehicle get involved with the minivan at 22nd and Huntington. After the auto accident is when the suspect pointed the weapon at police so these five individuals may have witnessed some of or all of this particular incident,” Small said.

Police tell us when the car came to a halt, the 19-year-old driver tried to run away but was arrested almost immediately. We’re told it was the actions of his 19-year-old passenger that forced police to open fire.

Small said, “The passenger exited front passenger seat with a weapon in his hands and pointed it at the officer. The officer discharged his weapon, striking the suspect. The suspect fell back into the vehicle where he dropped his weapon.”

Police say the 19-year-old was transported to Temple University Hospital where he was pronounced dead. Family members say the suspect who was killed is Aaron McDaniels, but police have not confirmed that.

The driver, who remains unidentified, had previously been arrested for aggravated assault and drugs. He is now charged with Violation of Uniforms Firearms Act and Fleeing Police.

The suspect who was killed by police had a prior for Violation of Uniforms Firearms Act.

Authorities say the incident is being investigated by Internal Affairs. We’re told the District Attorney’s Office will review all facts and details of the investigation. The Officer involved will be placed on administrative duty, which is standard procedure, pending the outcome of the investigation.

Watch & Listen LIVE