Minor Electrical Fire At Independence Hall
Get Breaking News First
PHILADELPHIA (CBS/AP) — The Philadelphia Fire Department says there was a minor electrical fire at Independence Hall Saturday afternoon, but it’s been extinguished.
The fire forced evacuations, but a receptionist at the national historic site said it was open as usual with no disruptions.
The fire broke out around 4 p.m. in the basement of the East Wing of the building. officials say a transformer blew which sparked the small fire.
No injuries were reported and tourists were relieved the building was OK:
“It was pretty scary,” Kathy Porter said. “This is a national treasure and I’ve been inside and I know that there’s a lot of wood and I certainly wouldn’t want to see anything happen to all the original furniture and the wood.”
Officials do not expect the fire to cause any more issues and everything should be open according to schedule Sunday.
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)