WOODBURY, N.J. (CBS/AP) — A New Jersey house fire is being blamed on a homeowner’s battle against bedbugs.

Officials say fire crews were called out to a two-alarm fire at about 5:12 p.m. along the unit block of Penn Street (see related story) in Woodbury.

A county spokeswoman says the homeowner was using a space heater, a hair dryer and a heat gun Tuesday to try to eradicate the pests in a second-floor bedroom. The combination sparked a fire.

The federal Environmental Protection Agency says very high, sustained heat can kill bedbugs, but raising the temperature with the thermostat or space heaters won’t do the job. It says special equipment is needed.

The unidentified homeowner and three firefighters were injured.

(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Top Content On CBSPhilly

More From CBS Philly

Latest Videos
Latest Forecast

Watch & Listen LIVE