MANTUA, NJ (CBS) – Officials in South Jersey say that “suspicious” activity at a Gloucester County fire station was not a threat to homeland security.
Earlier on Wednesday, officials released information that they were on the lookout for two men deemed “suspicious” after an incident at a fire station early this month.
On April 12th, 2013, two male subjects who officials say appeared to be of Middle Eastern descent and were between 25 and 30 years old allegedly walked into a fire station in Mantua Township and asked to take photographs of the location and do a video interview with personnel. According to officials, the men claimed this was so that information could be sent back to their country. They also asked to obtain information from local police departments.
Neither man could produce ID when asked by fire officials.
When the men were told that their request had been denied based on security concerns, they allegedly became very upset and were escorted out of the station.
Fire crews obtained information on the males’ vehicle, which is described as a light gold 1999 Mercury Villager minivan with NJ registration UEA31N.
Mantua Township police were notified, as was the Division of Fire Safety and the State Regional Operation Intelligence Center (ROIC) in West Trenton.
Now, a statement on the New Jersey State Police Facebook page says that the incident was thoroughly investigated by the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force, NJ State Troopers and the NJ Office of Homeland Security. The men were located and interviewed by authorities and the incident was found to be “innocent in nature.”