Last Day To Register For FEMA Assistance Announced
TRENTON, N.J. (CBS) – Officials have announced that the last day for Superstorm Sandy survivors to register for FEMA disaster assistance in May 1, 2013.
FEMA officials released the following facts to help those in need understand FEMA assistance:
- FEMA assistance does NOT affect benefits from other federal programs, such as Social Security benefits, taxes, food stamps or Medicaid.
- FEMA assistance is available for renters; it is not exclusive to homeowners.
- FEMA provides grants; it does not make loans. These grants do NOT have to be repaid, and they are NOT considered taxable income.
- You may be eligible for reimbursement for repairs to your home, even if the repairs are already completed.
- You may be eligible for FEMA assistance even if you have flood or homeowner’s insurance.
- Income is NOT a consideration for eligibility for FEMA assistance.
- A grant you may receive does not take away from another survivor’s assistance; FEMA has sufficient funding to assist all eligible survivors with their eligible disaster-related needs.
- There is no paperwork to register with FEMA; the process normally takes between 15 and 20 minutes.
Officials say if you are unsure if you qualify for assistance, call 1-800-621-3362 (FEMA) or go to www.disasterassistance.gov.
May 1st is the last day to register for FEMA and apply for SBA physical damage disaster assistance which can cover expenses for repairs, replacement of damaged personal property, temporary housing and other disaster related needs like medical or transportation costs.
For more information visit: www.disasterassistance.gov.