eye-3-yellow-3d-2-new-logo philly_kyw_new philly_94wip_new 35h_cbssportsrad_philly philly_wpht_new

Local

Bobby Rydell Celebrates With Transplant Patient At Local Hospital

Gregg_Cherrie--NEW Cherri Gregg
Cherri Gregg is the community affairs reporter for KYW Newsr...
Read More

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

By Cherri Gregg

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Sixties icon Bobby Rydell shared a song and acknowledged a very special bond that he has with a young transplant patient at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital.

Six months after receiving both a kidney and liver transplant Bobby Rydell is back on stage.

And this Christmas he’s celebrating his great health and a bond he shares with four-year-old Assiah Phinisee.

(Assiah listening to song Credit: Cherri Gregg)

(Assiah listening to song Credit: Cherri Gregg)

“Her transplant was the same day as mine, July the 9th,” says Rydell.

Assiah and Bobby shared the same liver. Bobby received 75 percent of the organ and little Assiah got the remaining 25 percent.

“It was an emotional rollercoaster, it was a financial roller coaster. We went through everything,” says Assiah’s mother, Rasheena Phinisee. “For the first time in like four years she’s doing well, she’s been eating well, she’s been growing, her hair is growing back, her skin is glowing.”

(Assiah and  her mother Credit: Cherri Gregg)

(Assiah and her mother Credit: Cherri Gregg)

She says they too are celebrating. This will be the first time in three years they’re celebrating Christmas at home. And Assiah has her list ready.

“I asked for Thomas the Train and Elmo,” says Assiah.

Bobby gave Assiah a special gift to symbolize their bond.

“On the back of the necklace it says joined together for the rest of life.”

And Assiah had this to say: “I want to say thank you to my donor for my liver.”

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 31,893 other followers