Filed underTalk Philly
For more information on Chef Walter Staib for Dietz & Watson, please click on the following links:
A Recipe by Walter Staib
1 pound Dietz & Watson® Braunschweiger
1 cup finely chopped dried cranberries
½ cup chopped pecans
2 tablespoons Dietz & Watson® Whole Grain Dijon Mustard
4 tablespoons mayonnaise
For extra flavor, omit 1 tablespoon of the mayonnaise and add 1 tablespoon of brandy (optional).
1. Slice the braunschweiger into chunks and place in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the remaining ingredients and mix on low speed until well blended, about 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately with your favorite crackers or bread.
2. If refrigerating, remove and allow to come to room temperature, then blend again for 1 minute before serving.
Adapted From Black Forest Cuisine, ©2006 by Walter Staib
Running Press Book Publishers, Philadelphia & London
8 small, vine-ripened tomatoes
2 teaspoons Dietz & Watson® Stone Ground mustard
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 dill pickles, sliced into thin strips about 2 inches long and 1/8-inch wide
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Freshly ground black pepper
1 pound Dietz & Watson® German Brand bologna, sliced into thin strips about 2 inches long and 1/8-inch wide
½ pound Dietz & Watson® Lacey Swiss cheese, sliced into thin strips about 2 inches long and 1/8-inch wide
Bibb Lettuce, for garnish
Dietz & Watson® Gourmet Potato Salad, for serving
1. Slice the tops off of the tomatoes and scoop out the seeds and membranes, leaving enough flesh on the sides to keep the shells firm. Set the tomatoes in a dish, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Stir together the mustard and vinegar in a small bowl, and slowly drizzle in the oil, whisking constantly. Stir in the red onion, pickles, and chives, and season the dressing with salt and pepper.
3. Combine the bologna and cheese in a medium bowl, and pour the dressing overtop, tossing gently to coat.
4. Spoon the dressed bologna and cheese filling into the tomatoes. Arrange the lettuce leaves on a serving tray and top with the potato salad. Arrange the tomatoes atop the potato salad and serve.