NOW LIVE: Eyewitness News

Local

7 Injured, 100s Displaced By 4-Alarm Fire In Montgomery County

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

By Jenn Bernstein, Tim Jimenez

WYNCOTE, Pa. (CBS) – Seven people were sent to the hospital, two of them firefighters, after a four-alarm fire last night in Wyncote at the 1600 Church Road Condominiums.

Authorities say their injuries were not serious.

Now, the entire complex has been evacuated, leaving as many as a few hundred out of their homes. (see related story)

”It was 9:30 p.m., firefighters responded to a 3rd floor stove fire in the “B” building of the 1600 Church Road Condos,” said Glenside fire chief Joe Stuckert. “We had multiple rescues, we assisted people getting out, we had to carry them out we had people on balconies, that we had to get out with ladders.”

PHOTOS: From The Scene

Overnight, only residents of the one building had to leave, but in the morning Stuckert says all four buildings had to be evacuated.
“All power has had to be shut off to the whole complex along with gas. Everything does feed through that “B” building,” said Stuckert.

Residents of the condominiums came out Saturday morning to assess damage to their homes.

“This property right here, with the balcony and flower pots, that was my balcony,” said Uzzi Yahll who lives in the B building.
Fire officials said all 55 units in B, have been deemed uninhabitable.

“A lot of sentimental things in there,” said Yahll.

The Red Cross set up a shelter at Cheltenham High School to help those displaced. That not only included Building B, all buildings were evacuated Friday night, some have smoke and water damage.

The Red Cross says more than 100 people were affected in this community, including Arcadia University students, working families and senior citizens.

“We have some medically fragile seniors, who will very likely stay at the Red Cross house,” said the local Red Cross CEO Renee Hughes. They are also making sure “the Arcadia students are coordinating with the University for the services that they need.”

For many folks, Saturday will be spent waiting to see what’s left of their homes.

“It’s a good thing I have insurance,” said Yahll.

Eyewitness News heard there are other folks who do not have insurance.

As for the cause, fire officials initially heard it might have started in a kitchen, but the Fire Marshal is investigating.

Residents of buildings A,C and D are allowed to return to pick up belongings with the assistance of a firefighter. Entrance into building B is not permitted at this time. No one is allowed to stay overnight or return until Sunday at 3 p.m.

Top Content On CBSPhilly

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 33,114 other followers