• KYW News 4:30-7am
    04:00 AM - 07:00 AM

By Diana Rocco

YEADON, Pa. (CBS) – A high-speed chase ended in ruin Friday night.

“God, it was scary, my heart is shaky right now,” says Michelle White who witnessed the crash.

A mangled bike was scattered across McDade Avenue in Yeadon, struck head on by a police cruiser. Police say the crash sent the motorcycle operator to the hospital, and caused two other officers in close pursuit of the bike to hit each other. One of those cruisers ended in the trees. Police say the bike was traveling 80 miles an hour up the hill when the driver, a man in his thirties, hit the crusier head-on.

“I heard a noise and I saw the man fly up in the air and land here,” said White.

The crash threw the man 50 feet from the point of impact. He was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. His identity and condition are not yet known. Police say the chase started in Prospect Park, seven miles away.

“Prospect Park Police chasing motorcycle you see there. He (the biker) was traveling at 80 miles per hour. There is a valley in the road and my officer didn’t see the bike until it was right on him,” said Lt. Mike Dolly.

According to Dolly, the Yeadon officer heard the pursuit over the radio and went to join. He didn’t see the bike until it was too late.

The officer was wearing his seatbelt and not seriously hurt.

Down the road, two other officers following in close pursuit had to stop short to avoid the crash scene, sending one officer careening into the back of another. Those officers were from Glen Olden and Darby. The impact sent that cruiser into the trees.

The officer had to be cut from the vehicle. Neighbors concerned about a high speed chase through a residential area say this could have ended much worse.

One officer was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. A second officer was taken to Delaware County Memorial Hospital.

It remains unclear why police were chasing the man on the bike.

Top Content On CBSPhilly

Watch & Listen LIVE