DARBY, Pa. (CBS) – An apparent carbon monoxide forced several evacuations in Darby Wednesday afternoon.

At about 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday afternoon, utility workers reported a carbon monoxide leak in the 800 block on Main Street in Darby.

Authorities shut down traffic and SEPTA and evacuated nearby businesses and residences.

PECO believes the leak came from the insulation of over heated underground cables. They are on the scene with firefighters to assist with the investigation.

“PECO was on scene, they have just cut the power to the problem. There is still a large amount of smoke underground that they must evacuate. Once that is done, then it’ll be safe for prior personnel to reenter the building,” said Chief Robert Smyth of Darby Borough Police.

There were no power outages and no reports of injuries.

The cause of the leak remains under investigation.

Top Content On CBSPhilly

Watch & Listen LIVE