MOUNT POCONO, Pa. (CBS) – Police in the Poconos arrested a bank robbery suspect and investigators believe he is the so-called “Silent Bandit” who has robbed five banks in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
The FBI says the suspect, Fawzi Atra, was arrested Thursday after he robbed the East Stroudsburg Savings Association Bank located in Mount Pocono. The FBI says Atra made off with $1,500.
As it stands right now, Atra has only been charged federally with Thursday’s bank robbery.
However, investigators believe the suspect is connected to five bank robberies in the past two weeks in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. (See Related Story)
The FBI says the “Silent Bandit” is targeting banks that are located inside grocery stores. Investigators say the suspect rarely communicates with tellers and simply hands them a demand note.
According to the FBI, the following banks have been robbed by the “Silent Bandit:
- April 3rd at the KNBT Bank inside a Giant grocery store in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.
- April 4th at the PNC Bank inside a ShopRite grocery store in Marlton, New Jersey.
- April 11th at the PNC Bank inside a ShopRite grocery store in Warminster, Pennsylvania.
- April 14th at the PNC Bank inside a ShopRite grocery store in Hopewell, New Jersey.
- April 17th at the QNB Bank inside a Giant grocery store in Richland Township, Pennsylvania