Op-Ed: Actor Richard Dreyfuss Imagines Obama Press Conference Addressing Rick Santorum Comment

CBSPhilly has obtained this op-ed by actor and political activist Richard Dreyfuss – it does not reflect the view points of CBS Philadelphia.

I Had A Dream Last Night

By Richard Dreyfuss

(President Obama enters the Press Room — all rise)

Good evening ladies and gentleman, I have no opening remarks tonight, thought we’d go straight to questions; so, if — whoa, Nellie! I guess so … yes, you?

Mr. Santorum has endorsed a pastor’s statement that ‘this is a Christian Nation’, sir. And his office came out with a statement that said,” This country was founded as a Christian nation …” do you have any reaction to this you might share?

Thank you, Rush, I would like to give you one of many passing thoughts I’ve had since I heard that story, the first being, why is mine the first answer being heard from I could say mainstream politicians? Where is the voice of the party? And I don’t mean my party, I mean the gentleman who made the remark and endorsed it from others is running for this office as a Republican, or have we got that wrong?

The political parties that have basically run our political process for 200 years have argued, sometimes eloquently, about all sorts of issues, but those disagreements have always been based on shared values we all do agree with, that created the foundation that all Americans stand on.

I work under the premise that these notions are our shared started point. So I’ve been surprised this past week that no one in the GOP wouldn’t have spoken up and said, “Well, Mr. Santorum, we are in real agreement with you about conservative philosophy and fiscal this and that, but you’re going way far back, now, before we were the United States, if you think we favor one religion over another. We protect all religions by not backing one, and I’m afraid you’ve crossed a line on this one.”

That’s how I have always thought everyone thought, and agreed. It’s why so many people came here, knowing they didn’t have to pass a religious exam.

So, frankly I was waiting for the Republicans to say something first. Since they didn’t, I have to conclude they agree with this new standard that Mr. Santorum found in all the discarded standards we fought against. So if this is the Republican Party I’m running against, I’m happy to know it, and I’ll plan to oppose him and his re-defined party along the 16th Century mentality he is talking up, no offense to the 16th Century.

Mr. Pres—

One more thing, sorry; has anyone asked Mr. Santorum, does Mr. Santorum consider Mitt Romney to be a Christian? Mitt Romney’s a Mormon, and the Baptist Convention proclaimed them a cult. Does Mr. Santorum think Mr. Romney is a pagan? Or Jewish? Or heavens above a Muslim? He can get pretty confused about such things, take it from me. So why don’t you ask him that? It’s your job, isn’t it?

Mr. President—

Yes. Yes, you, Glen?

Mr. Trump and Mr. Gingrich have asked you about what you are, Muslim, I mean, or Christian, and things about your birth certificate. Don’t you think those questions are like the ones you’re saying should be asked of Mr. Santorum?

(Long hold on grinning President Obama)

I’m sorry, Glen, you’re — well, you’re just silly. Next question?

Mr. President—Mr. President—

I don’t think you’re being responsible in answering that way. I take offense at that, sir-

As do I. Next?

Sir, in an article about Justice Thomas it was said that he didn’t read the papers. We’ve heard that you had an opinion of that. Could you tell us what that is?

Well, yes, yes I can. But first, let me ask you, do you have a reaction to that news?

Sir?

Do you have a reaction to the news that Justice Thomas doesn’t read the newspapers, or read up on what people may be saying or thinking or feeling about the issues?

(Pause)

Anyone? Cause I’ll tell you right now, until I hear some reaction from the press about the fact that a justice of the court doesn’t read what you write, and apparently doesn’t think anything of it, I’m choosing to be mum on this, because it’s a pretty amazing remark, that reflects on you in a not very flattering or substantive way. So why don’t you go first.

Yes, you.

Well, one could wonder how he knows what world he’s living in; some might say ask what does he know of how modern America thinks of things, if he doesn’t read what they currently think. Is that what you were trying to say?

No, Walter, but you did, and it’s a fascinating premise, isn’t it?

Here is the Court, drawing conclusions about the meaning of the Constitution, and issues like stem cell research, or health care, and here’s a Justice of the Court who doesn’t even check in with what current society is thinking. He’s drawing water from a pretty limited well, don’t you think?

Let me say now, before the other party makes its choice, that when one man is endorsing not going to college and that America is for Christians first, and another man in the judiciary is saying nothing in the papers is illuminating enough to take into consideration about the possibility of it creating some rethinking or of a ripple affect of his legal philosophy, then someone is trying to fight a war that’s already been won, by our side, and they sound like all the powers that were, and want to rewrite the ending of the war of Independence.  I wouldn’t vote for that Party, because they don’t know the difference between an American political miracle from an Ignoramus. When we did have a party made up of such extraordinary ideas, the people called them the Know Nothings.

Tempting, isn’t it?

For me, I’d vote for the Bill of Rights as written, the Constitution as written, the Preamble, as written, and those parts of the Bill of Rights I might take issue with I’d trust in the process to deal with. But that’s after I’ve signed what we agree on, which is probably 80 to 90 percent of men and women in the whole country, of various colors and incomes. After that, I’d go after the ideas and issues and attitudes which I think hurt us all as a country, but I’m a Democrat, and those ideas I don’t like have been collectively called Republican, so it’s part of my job description.

I’m delighted to say I defend that arbitrary line in the sand for Western Civ, which we were the first nation to have the courage to actualize. We’re allowed to disagree on everything but the Basics, which is what partisan politics is all about.  I may be wrong, but if I am, so are basically all the generations that came before this one. And people of color didn’t even come willingly, and they agree to it. So it’s pretty foundational stuff, don’t you think?

So I’m going to formally ask the Republican Party to do that, sign the Preamble to the Constitution. I would, and I think an overwhelming number of Americans would and will.

I think it’s what makes us Americans. I ask my party to do the same. I can’t think of a reason why we all wouldn’t sign; so lets do it, and if someone says “well, now, I don’t think so,” as gentlemen and ladies of thoughtfulness and grace,  they should say why they’re unwilling to have our kids taught civic rewards, responsibilities, accountabilities, the two-way street of Republican Democracy.  Are they now against trying to form a more perfect Union? Or Provide for the common Defense? Or Promote the General Welfare?

Mr. Justice Thomas, would you sign the Preamble you’ve taken an oath to defend? Justice Scalia? Mr. Koch, or Mr. Koch, either of you? Or– Who’s the head of the Communist Party of America? Whatever your name, do you have a problem with it? Mr. Santorum, and Justice Roberts, would you?

I’ll tell you now, folks, any Democrat unwilling to sign it, I will do my level best to throw out of this party. Because we stand on shared values first; then we play politics. But Mr. Santorum and others have gotten confused. And that’s a prerequisite for this job, a minimum of confusion on the basics. Not to offend any here, which I apparently do by just breathing, I think they’re silly as is the silence from the adults among Republicans — it is sad and dangerous. By the way, Sean, those who espouse such Know-Nothing views, I do intend to offend them, until they start to learn more, and be much quieter, and less poisonous.

Thank you.

(The President exits the podium)

Mr President … Sir …Wait … About being born in Kenya, sir?

Comments

1. whatsup says:

who cares who Dreyfus has to say,. a liberal hypocrite, who claims to be for the poor and downtrodden, but wants you and me to pay don;’t take it out of his pocket. When these liberals start to put their own money where their liberals mouths are then I will start to pay attention.

2. acoustic622 says:

So Justice Thomas does not read the newspaper? So I suppose the man can not give an informed opinion concerning the Kim Kardashian wedding. What about Kate Plus Eight, and how she might support her children now that the reality show was canceled? Since he is not reading the newspaper, I wonder if Justice Thomas is aware that President Obama feels the opinions of the Supreme Court is less important than the opinion of the President himself (imagine if President George W. Bush believed his opinions were infallible, and what kind of response that would have caused). Has anyone ever tried to read an entire paper from front to back? No, most people just read the articles they are interested in: Celebrity Gossip, Business, politics, local news, the obituaries, the comics, or whatever. It was about 40 years ago that abortion was made legal in the United States by the court, and in the last four decades there has been a constant battle surrounding this issue; the media want to cover the issue of abortion as if it were today’s latest news, but how many newspaper articles do I really need to read about the issue? What I would hope is that Justice Thomas is reading about trending topics in Federal Judicial courts, but even that might be counterproductive to the court. The entire reason we have a Supreme Court is hopefully to have judgments based on impartiality, and not trending topics on Twitter. Imagine if the Supreme Court suddenly made decisions, not based on the U.S. Constitution, but based on some Twit on Twitter.

President Obama needs to read the newspaper once and a while to find out that the jobless rate is still above 8 percent, and five million Americans are still desperately looking for work. The State of PA is trying to cut money for education (at least the Governor). Millions of American families are still facing foreclosure on their homes. So many young people are graduating college with huge student loan debts, and unable to find employment wages that would permit them to pay back that debt (some say that is the next housing crisis; student loan debt). Other than speaking about his opinion concerning the Supreme Court having less value than elected government officials, what exactly has President Obama accomplished in the last five days? It certainly was not listed in any of the newspapers I read this week.

1. Colonel Neville says:

My my. A VERY erudite, empirical comment and unlike many a dying newspaper, I could read your, nay, HAD to read your entire comment. No, really. Colonel Neville.

3. Steve says:

I think Mr. Dreyfuss is still dreaming because half of this is unintelligible. Very enlightening as to how the liberal mind works though. And sad.

4. Greg says:

This can’t possibly be real. The shark should’ve eaten his ego.

5. James Taylor says:

Stick to “What about Bob” and “Mr. Holland’s Opus, or whatever else you do nowadays, because that was awful. I think I would rather read an Alec Baldwin article and keep my dinner in my stomach afterwards.

6. tman says:

That piece was completely incoherent. Did he have a seizure while he was writing this?

7. midwestnorwegian says:

I’d gladly strangle Dreyfuss until his eyeballs popped out of their sockets and he expired. THEN, I’d spit in his Bolshevik face.

8. Michael says:

Keep your day job, Dreyfus. You obviously don’t have the mental capacity to do anything else.

9. Clyde Barrow says:

It is Obama who views the Costitution as an impediment. How bizarre to attribute this view to others.

1. Steve says:

Clearly! But that’s exactly what they do. Just like Obama’s accusation that overturning Obamacare on constitutional grounds would be “judicial activism”. They try to change the meaning of words and phrases, usually through simple repetition with the help of a compliant media…and the uninformed voting public gobbles it up.

1. Steve says:

…sorry, meant to say “pliant” media

10. David Ross says:

He was more coherent when he was playing with his food building mountains out of mashed potatoes. Stick to your day job Mr. Doofus, provided you still can find work.

11. Matt says:

I started nodding off after the first 100 words. Painful reading.

12. Raymond A. Collier says:

I know that Richard Dreyfuss is a great Actor, but He should stick to want He knows best & leave the “Political Commentary” to those who do it best & the ‘Public that Comments on it!’

13. recklessprocess says:

If Dreyfuss had half a brain he would see that the vast majority of American’s love liberty and free market capitalism. All Dreyfuss has to offer is more leftist totalitarian facism. Why dont these hirrid leftist totalitarians go live under Chavez or Castro? They would be so much happier there and they could leave us alone to live the way we want.

14. J. Ericsson says:

I remember Mr. Dreyfus relating that the first thought that crossed his mind when he won his Oscar was ‘Too soon’ as he was in the early stage of his career. Let’s all hope that same voice spoke to him as he decided being a political pundit might be a new career.

15. Dan da man says:

I’ll never get the three minutes back that it took to read this piece of garbage.

1. joe says:

I have watched interviews with Dreyfus because he is obviously a very talented actor, unfortunately now he just comes off as a bitter has been.

16. Johnny says:

This has to be a joke. I know Dreyfus is just a liberal tool, but is he trying to pull one over on a news org to see who will take such intellectually shallow drivel? That a professional pretender can’t leave his comfort zone of scripted fantasy to present his “arguments” is pathetic and sad if its anything other than a joke. In either case, the joke’s on CBS for printing such nonsense, or on Dreyfus for CBS actually running it so we can laugh at him. Give him a weekly column – Musings: Richard Dreyfus. Put it in the entertainment section.

17. kavieng says:

What a rambling, childish mess. Richard evidently had a dream about an army of strawmen.

18. trapeze says:

Holy cow…what a fabulously stupid person Mr. Dreyfuss is. Thank you, Mr. Dreyfuss for opening your pie hole and removing all doubt.

Please do everyone a big favor and shut up. Just shut up. Shut up…really.

19. Jason says:

Good lord! I had a dream too! I dreamed that i skipped reading this tool for Obama ramblings. In the other part of the dream, an impossible one i know. Our actors returned to the old tradition of trying to entertain us instead of stuffing their biased political views down out throats on a hourly basis! Lord forfend they ever step down off that marbled soap boxes. Enough already! We know Hollywood is so uber-liberal as compared to us hicks out in the sticks! They really need to get over themselves!

20. Pookiebear60 says:

How long has it been since I saw Dufuss on Mike Huckabee’s showing whining about the importance of civility in public discourse? Well, in this op-ed, he’s called people names, insulted people who don’t choose to attend college (like college is the be-all and end all of the measure of intelligence…C’mon…) and pretended to speak for this pathetic excuse for a pres who claims to be a Constitutional scholar, but has declared war on Libya without Congress’ permission, on 12/31/11 signed leglislation that gives HIM the right to detain AMERICAN CITIZENS indefinitely, and is STILL pushing forced healthcare law down our throats. Either Dufuss is ate up with kool-aid poisoning resulting in flatline brainwaves or he’s a stark raving hypocrite. YOU get to guess which one.

21. the_bitter_truth says:

I had a dream last night that washed-up actors had shut the hell up and spared us from their idiotic 60’s points of view. Richard, you’re old and no one cares.

22. Peter says:

So what does the station believe then?

23. Carolyn says:

Money talks and BULL$$$$ walks the walk….

24. JohnT says:

“Doesn’t reflect the views blah blah blah…”

I eagerly anticipate the opposiving view, although I doubt that will ever get posted.

25. Tired of it says:

First intelligent post I’ve seen at this site (or any “news” site) in quite a while – getting back to our daily grind and beyond the useless bickering that resolves nothing, just distracts from the real work. Will the Powers That Be in Washington take note, please ……

1. the_bitter_truth says:

You’re tired all right.

26. Christine Flowers says:

Well I am certainly happy that the Big Talker made sure to tell us that this does not reflect the station’s views……

Comments are closed.