Police Identify Driver Killed In I-95 Chain Reaction Crash Near Penn’s Landing

By Steve Beck

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – A chain reaction crash that shutdown I-95 for several hours Thursday, left one person dead and four others injured.

The six vehicle accident happened at about 8:45 a.m. in the tunnel underneath the Spruce Street overpass, just before the exit for Columbus Boulevard/Washington Avenue (See Photos).

According to investigators, 38-year-old Nicole M. Sloan, of Philadelphia, was stopped in the left lane of travel on I-95 South enroute to the Columbus Blvd. exit when a box truck failed to stop, striking Sloan’s vehicle causing a chain reaction crash. State police say the impact propelled her vehicle into the right lane where it was struck by tanker truck. Sloan was transported to Hahnemann University Hospital where she was pronounced dead.

95 crash Police Identify Driver Killed In I 95 Chain Reaction Crash Near Penns Landing

(credit: Oren Liebermann)

At about 10:10 a.m., crews allowed vehicles stuck behind the accident scene to squeeze by in the far right lane and the right shoulder, but the roadway remain closed until 2:30 p.m.

No charges have been filed and the cause of the crash remains under investigation.

Top Content On CBSPhilly

Comments

1. Pamela says:

You are a dope Peter! I95 is busy and most of the exits are backed up – She didn’t want to stop – she had no choice – what did you want her to do – fly over the traffic – you my friend are not very intelligent! Rest In Peace Nicole – very sad :(

2. Kellie says:

During rush hour the Columbus exit is that backed up that traffic in the left lane is at a stand still, because of the impending traffic light. So technically the deceased did nothing wrong IMO, My GOD bless her soul and her family.

3. Darnell says:

RIP good friend!!

4. Bill F says:

R.I.P Nicole.

Well it was really nice of you to spend just about the entire tie talking about the traffic before finally mentioning that a person was killed before you ended the story.

5. matt knoneborg says:

rip nicole sloan you are with god now

6. CalJack says:

CBS Philly… Today is definitely Thursday. Not Monday.

7. Deb says:

Sorry to say…but sometimes people die because of their reckless driving…I see it on the road all the time, the way some people drive. I don’t know who is at fault here, but there are a lot of people who drive like fools out there.

1. Tom says:

if you read this, it says she was stopped. whats the point of your comment?

1. Peter says:

Why was she stopped in the passing lane of a busy highway during rush hour. She shoudl have pulled over onto the shoulder if she wanted to stop

Comments are closed.