NOW LIVE: Eyewitness News

Soaring Beef Prices Force Shoppers To Find Other Foods

By Oren Liebermann

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) –– At Cappuccio’s Meats in the Italian Market, the cuts of beef are cutting into the profits.

“Every week when I talk to my suppliers, I’m amazed by how much it’s going up,” said owner Domenick Crimi.

Beef prices soared more than 10 percent last year according to the Department of Agriculture, and they will likely go up at least another 5 percent this year.

“It bumps up a bit, comes down a tiny bit, then it bounces again, and when it bounces, it goes up another dime, 15, 20 cents,” said Crimi, “and sometimes that’s in a week.”

A drought across Texas and Oklahoma has made food and water scarce for cattle, which has kept herds small. The Department of Agriculture says there are 91 million cattle nationally, the smallest herd since 1952. Add to that the rising cost of feed and rising beef exports, and the price of beef in the states is surging.

“Your customers get tired of hearing every week that it’s going up,” said Andrew Hurford, manager of Kissin Fresh Meats. “Sooner or later, they’re going to reach a tolerance ceiling and they’re going to say maybe it’s not worth it anymore.”

The meat locker at Kissin used to be filled with fresh beef hanging from rails. But now it is only half full, since they have replaced beef with pre-packaged goods like eggs and cole slaw, leaving them something else to sell when customers stop purchasing as much beef.

“We do a lot of fish now and chicken,” said Johanna Butler, visiting the Italian Market from Swedesboro, NJ. “I mean, beef indeed is very expensive, so I’ve made some changes.”

For many shoppers tired of high beef prices, the question is no longer where’s the beef, but how much is it going to cost?

Top Content On CBSPhilly

1. JJChronicles says:

Thank Junk Journalist for allowing government to report no inflation and false unemployment rates. Government tells them we are not counting food and fuel and they all say “great, it will make you look better.” Junk Journalism loves government.. Americans are seeing their standard of living decline and Junk Journalist David Gregory argues Americans need to get used to getting by with less. I guess this is what he means.

2. Zak says:

Well I started a nice little war. For the people that think a VEGAN diet is bad for you well ur just a fool. The facts are simple. Animals are killed everyday so people can eat meat. It is just not a nice thing to do. A diet that does not have meat is so much better for you. I live by a rule. If you are about to eat something that had a mother you should think twice. Cattle being raised for food not only is not good for you but is bad for the soil, water, and health of people in general. Before you say anything you should have your facts checked and come back to me with something more than a diet issue or my teeth. WAKE UP AND NOTICE THERE NEEDS TO BE A CHANGE!!! AND Obamao you rule thanks!

1. Another Jean says:

I totally agree with you! I’m vegetarian going on vegan, for all the same reasons. The animals that most people eat, live and die in terrible misery, and there’s no excuse for it. Still, as I see it, the joke is on the fools who think it’s noble to kill and eat them. Eating meat is bad for the human body, especially eating cows, and eventually, many of the meat eaters will have all the heart disease and cancer that results. The typical American diet is the reason health care costs are so high. Everyone wants to stuff themselves with the worst “food” there is, and then they expect to be given a pill that erases all the damage they’ve done.

1. PearlY says:

So, tell us – what do vegans/vegetarians die of? Linda McCartney died of breast cancer at 56. Dennis Weaver died of cancer. The only nearly life-long vegetarian I’ve known died at 60 from heart failure. While all of my grandparents – meat-eaters all – died in their late 80s and older – as old as 97.

The “typical” American diet and a well-rounded diet including meat, whole grains, dairy, fruits and vegetables, are not necessarily the same thing. The former may be unhealthy, but the latter, at least in my family, is definitely not.

2. MrReality says:

Eating is by definition the destruction of other life to support your own. All animals consume life to remain alive; many eat other animals, some only vegetable life. When I read people say things like “Its just not a nice thing to do” I think your argument is less with meat eaters and more with the second law of thermodynamics or possibly the entire universe. Allow me to speak for the entire universe and apologize for its clear and inherent injustice. We’ll try to get this all worked out more to your satisfaction, in the mean time you can do your part and please assume room temperature to limit your contribution to this unjust system.

1. Zak says:

another fool and looser!!!! I guess u win dude! AKA MrReality

3. James Woods says:

Like others have said; supply and demand.

To an extent of course.

Those of us that work for a living will adjust our budgets accordingly and buy foods for which we see makes the most sense. Those of us however living off others (food stamps) will always continue to be able to eat the steak and whatever else there is out there because we’re all paying for it.

4. cheymike says:

Want to know one reason prices are so high? Listen to the story of a trucker who hauled beef. I picked up a load outside Lincoln, Neb. Drove it to Brownsville, Tx. Then picked up the EXACT same load and took it to North Carolina. Then didn’t even get pulled away from the dock when the foreman told the forklift driver to put it back on my truck. Then I took it to Omaha, Neb where I finally got offloaded and didn’t pick the same load back up. Now I wonder why that beef was so expensive??!! How about transportation costs and broker costs. John ordered a truckload of beef from Joe. Joe said he didn’t have any but he could get some. Joe ordered from Bill. He then bought it from Jim. So… I pick up beef bought from Jim, deliver it to Joe, deliver it to Bill, and then finally deliver it to John. Or something like that! LOL!

5. NCT says:

So what is the big deal? When there is less supply, the price goes up. That encourages folks to buy other protein sources like pork, chicken, fish, etc. I love a steak or burger as much as the next guy, but my life won’t end if I have to eat a pork chop instead. Simple economics and common sense.

6. Ermintrude says:

We buy our meat directly from a farmer of our choice through Home Grown Cow dot com. The farmer gets more of the price, I save more, and it tastes better. Not to mention I know where it comes from and under what conditions it was raised and handled. I like cutting out the middlemen and saving on paying their profits.

7. Robert says:

Spam and meatloaf are going to make a huge comeback.

8. Tired says:

Unfortunately, I have to agree with so many on this discussion board. The Federal Government just seems like a bloated tax wasting monster. Prices going up would not hurt so terribly if I didn’t have to pay so much of my income in taxes. My alarm wakes me up… tax on electricity, drink a cup of coffee, sales tax, drive to work, gas taxes. Get to work and pick up paycheck, social security, medicaire, payroll tax… Get a terrible headache, deal with Obama Care, Go home and have a drink of alcohol? sin taxes. Own a home? property taxes. Watch a little t.v.? Cable taxes. Call someone…phone taxes…Go to the store for a Sunday BBQ? Pay high prices for beef. Sigh… It never ends. It seems people like myself, and many others, are footing the bill. Am I wrong in my thinking?

9. Ratt says:

I quit buying beef, cleand up my ole trusty 30-30 and bagged 4 deer this year, did the same for the ole 12 gauge and snagged 38 squirrels and 9 rabbits. My Grandmaw taught me how to make squirrel and dumplings and Pops always had a great deer tip brown gravy with mashed potatoes recipe, them rabbits get sautayed in butter, green onions and lil sea salt then I add some link sausage and cover them in Frank’s Buffalo Wing Sauce and bake em at 350 for an 1.5 hours, make a batch of tator-salad and bake some French Bread and you got a feast (you can replace the rabbit with chicken wings). The rest of the deer went into burger mixed with bacon, makes excellent chili and is a great susbstitute for Hamburger Helper. Hey, a country boy can survive. Also, now is a great time to buy a large turkey, bake that dude and you have enuf meat to last a month, make a nice large pan of cornbread dressing and do a pot of purplehull peas. You don’t have to wait for Thanksgiving to eat good, or, buy a 10 – 15 pound ham shoulder and bake him up too, man, not only will it make the house smell good you can have ham&eggs, grilled ham&cheese, scalloped tators with Ham in the middle, tator soup with ham chunks, get a block of colby cheese and just eat that with the ham, and when the ham is almost gone take the hambone and a few nice chunks of ham, a yellow onion, a bag of pinto beans and a can of Ro-Tel and boil you down a pot of beans, whip out a batch of rice, make a pan of cornbread and you got a meal for at least 3 – 4 days. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good ribeye, but unlike the President and the 1st Lady I have to actually pay for it.

1. karen says:

Ratt I’m the same, good ole Souther food, I can eat just about anything, collard greens you name it I raise it all, garden time in the south, lots of new potaoes,and onion time, couldn’t live without a garden, can too, a awesome art. Raise pigs and chickens fresh eggs, and home raised pork, and fresh chicken too. love deer meat makes great deer burger, rice and beans great for you too homemade corn bread and so on, canned deer is great for beef tips on rice, soups, stews living off the land is the only way to go.

2. Leon P Christensen says:

People who rely on wild game for their meet supply should check into http;// and they will see our game animals in the west are being decimated by predators that are out of control. Plans to expand the wolf population into other western states is a recipe for disaster to our game animals. I might add that in the past we have enjoyed low beef prices and one of the reasons for that is that cattlemen have been able to graze their cattle on Ntl. forest and BLM land for a very low fee and this savings has been passed on to the consumer and that is a fact. When the predators run out of deer and elk to feed upon what do you think they are going to eat. We are able to raise our own beef for ourselves and the kids. I love to hunt and enjoy the wild game, but that will soon be a thing of the past if we don’t do something about predators.

10. JKeyes says:

Thank the ethanol lovers,thank the lack of drilling for oil and thank Obama for the high prices.

1. Mark Christopher says:

Amen, brother!

2. svede says:

Exactkly. High corn prices, high beef prices

11. JustAGuy says:

Welcome to the Obama Economy.

Vote for Obama in 2012 is you want more of the same.

1. Another Jean says:

News flash – Obama didn’t cause the drought in Texas.

12. Mike says:

My family will never go without. We’ve had a freezer full of deer meat for the last 3 months. The only cost associated with it were the cost of the hunting license and ammo to shoot the deer. Stop relying on other people to provide for you and get out and do it yourself.

1. John Uglyman says:

Get real man, most places you have to belong to a hunting club which costs major bucks. I used to be able to go down the road from my house to go hunting, now it’s all leased to hunting clubs. I’m not rich enough to belong to a club so no more hunting for me. Cost of license and ammo…what a laugh!

1. Mike says:

Things are a little different here in Texas. Sorry.

2. Eric says:

MIke, I am a hunter and fisherman too, but there simply isn’t enough wild game out there anymore for a significant portion of the population to try to sustain themselves by hunting and fishing for very long. Putting in a garden and raising domestic food animals is a more valuable skill set for most people, and provides a better return on investment. I predict goat meat will start doing well in the US over the next few years.

1. Jane says:

I have 10 deer in my backyard every day here in Northern Virginia. I wish someone could make good use of it!

13. Jeff says:

Hunting: The Original Organic Movement

14. Thorne Kontos says:

Here’s a little tip from flyover country. Get yourself a deep freeze. Then the next time there is a livestock auction, buy yourself a steer. Go in with friends to lower the cost. Now here is how to be really smart about doing it. Go to the county fair livestock auction, and buy it there. Usually these will be sponsored by the local 4-H clubs and the money will go to the kids that raised the animals. Now pay attention. Since this is a charitable contribution, you get to write off the price of the steer as a tax deduction. (The last steer we purchased yielded >900 lbs of beef, with an average cost of $3.00/pound)

1. Karl Magnus says:

VERY well said, sir. The family has done that more than once.
      Also, be on the lookout for co-ops, you’d be surprised at the amount and low prices one can find there.
      We also have LOTS of venison. here in Michigan, there is a never-ending supply that costs nothing but the cost of a bullet, or arrow.
      Hell, even “road kill” which Ted Nugent convinced the State to serve it up at “soup kitchens. Which is just ONE of the MANY reasons he left here for Texas.
      Unca Ted was about to be the subject of numerous tax nazis.
      Michi9gan#s loss is Texas’ gain. (sigh)

2. John Fox says:

It’s not a tax deduction if you get something for it. Girl Scout cookies are not tax deductible, neither is buying a steer from 4H. You can claim it, and the IRS can refuse it if you get audited. Then they will go back 6 more years and audit all of those records also.

3. John Fox says:

The comment about buying beef and pork in bulk and using a deep freeze is spot on. My mom and dad used to do that, and we always had plenty to eat. Also got to try heart and tongue and a few other things most people will turn their noses up at. Cooked right, they are great!

15. Karl Magnus says:

Don’t EVER forget that feed is so expensive because of ethanol subsidies for corn. It’s much more lucrative for farmers to sell their corn to Uncle Sugar.
    Oh, and the beef exports too. Beef served on the European Continent comes from Argentina or America. They finally had an excuse (mad cow disease) to freeze out the Brits.
    Well deserved payback across the pond.

1. Energy Man says:

Sorry Karl, althouigh blaming ethanol is a slam dunk, look at the facts. 30% of the kernel is High Protein gluten feed that is used for feed. The corn kernel does not dissapear into the ethanol plants. Wet Corn mills that make ethanol also make bioplastics and other value added items to displace petroleum.

The price of corn now is closer to real value of it, beef producers got fat on corn prices below cost of production because it was sall subsidized by the USDA. Those billions in subsidies (payments to big ag) are all savings now.

I feed gluten feed to my critters everyday, these plants provide jobs in rural america. Food prices are more influenced by petroleum prices anyway.

So stick your simpelton finger pointing if you like, I think clean burning domestic ethanol is a winner.

1. McDade TX says:

Energy Man – – you have the simple view. Land that used to grow livestock feed, including hay, has been converted to corn for ethanol. Land used for grazing cattle has been convert to crop land for corn for ehtanol. In this rural area of TX where land was pasture, hay, maize and cotton; it’s all corn now. (At least before the drought it was….)

16. glenp says:

If God didn’t mean us to eat animals, why’d He make em outa MEAT??

1. crypticguise says:

Or so “tasty”?

17. glenp says:

18. glenp says:

I love FRESH BAMBI on the BARBIE mmmmmmmm

blast em to hell and eat em!!

19. Jeffrey Dahmer says:

I got me some obese neighbors I can turn to.

” All mammals are edible”
    ~ G. Gordon Liddy

20. glenp says:

can I get foodstamps to eat teh quality products?

1. Regulas says:

So true, I see these food stamp welfare people buying at the high dollar stores while the cash paying people are forced to buy at the discount generic food stores. This happens more than people know.
      Welcome to Obmaville and Socialism

21. B DA Truth says:

Only working people ever cut back their purcahses or buy generic items to make ends meet, to the Obama Food Stamp crowd Money is no objust. Their shopping carts are always loaded to the brim with Brand Name Soda , Ice Cream, Corn Chips, Candy, Dip, and expensive Cuts of Meat and Seafood.
    Let the Good Times Roll.

1. krp says:

To be Florida, there is no sales tax on food, but soda and candy are exempt, which I found strange. However, they are still purchasable with food stamps. Thus using food stamps to buy these items actually gives the purchaser more bang for their buck because they aren’t paying tax on those items than if they were paying cash.
      If a lot of these low income people work in restaurants, they might be able to bring food home from work or eat at work, so they may not need a lot of “staples” for the home.

I am sure that a lot of them, if given the choice, would prefer an income where they didn’t qualify for food stamps in the first place. For that, we look at Obama.

2. Another Jean says:

What’s an objust?

22. Rod Anders says:

The Osama Obameconomy is here!

23. TOWG says:

The article states people are replacing expensive beef with coleslaw. Coleslaw? Are you freaking kidding me? That destroyed ant credibility this article had.

1. David Kramer says:

The government is having a hard time hiding the fact that inflation is a lot higher than the stated lies they keep distributing. Just like Unemployment, inflation is a lot higher than stated. With the Fed pretty much setting the interest rates at zero, inflation is continually accelerating. I would expect real inflation to be around 12-15% and by the end of the year about 20%. Shadowstats has the inflation rate at around 7%, but they still use items like housing and electronics in their figures. Some things are deflationary due to the bubbles that are still being popped, but things like energy and foodstuffs are inflationary, see this trend to continue.

1. Rick Gudobba says:

Everything that you need daily is going up. I have noticed a huge increase in my electrical bill, % wise bigger than the other essentials. Inflation is easily over 7%, has been for a long time. The Takerments 2% stated rate would mean that prices would double every 30 years, no one could possibly believe that statistic!

2. TexasRedNeck says:

Th dog here is really no inflation. People will replace beef with dog food. As dog Food is cheaper than beef, the CPI will go down. That is just how they do the math.

3. John Q Galt says:

I’m told that in the former Soviet Union, they used to say, “If you want milk, take your pail to the radio.”

2. Pete says:

Beef, and everything else, isn’t going up at all. In fact it’s cheaper now than it was in 1960. The problem is that our money is becoming worthless. In 1960 our dimes, quarters, halves and dollars were made from silver. Today our coins are metal clad slugs that would get a person arrested if he were to try to pass them as legitimate in 1960.

Spot silver on today’s NY exchange is $33.15 per ounce. That makes a 1960 dime worth slightly more than $3.31. I saw an Angus rib steak at the supermarket selling for $11.99 per pound. Four 1960’s dimes are worth $13.26 against today’s dollar. This means if you purchased a one pound Angus rib steak at $11.99 with four 1960’s dimes you would get $1.27 today dollars in change.

The same goes for gasoline. I pumped gas in 1960 at $.25.9 per gal regular when our money was silver. Today it’s about $3.60 where I live. Two silver dimes are worth $6.63 today so twenty 1960 cents will buy you about 1.5 gallons of gasoline today. The point is that real prices have actually gone down since the FED started inflating the economy. This inflation drives the price of silver and gold up to meet it’s actual value against the worthless fiat money in circulation.

If you want to see our money return to it’s past value vote for Ron Paul. He’s the only person running for president who actually understands this perilous economy and he knows how to fix it.

1. Marv says:

Actually, a silver dime at $3.31 silver is worth only $ 2.44 since a dime is not a full tenth of an ounce of silver. But you’re correct about the money being devalued.

2. denver bill says:

Thank the government, which wants to borrow a dollar today and pay back ninety cents next year. In 1964 you could buy a gallon of gas or a pack of cigarettes for a quarter. Guess what … you can still buy a gallon of gas or a pack of cigarettes for a 1964 quarter.

3. Joe says:

No it didn’t…………Learn to read.

24. Jim Sherer says:

Went to the grocery yesterday and found no ground beef Under $4.00 per pound. Hey Obambi, wheres the beef.

1. Danny Nix says:

As much as I dislike the president, he does not have the power or authority to bring rain to the beef growing states. If you don’t like coleslaw how about onions?

1. Elayne Houck says:

Perhaps not, but it IS his administration, and the Left in general, that insist on using corn for ethanol – THE major reason that food for cattle is growing ever more scarce and expensive

2. glenp says:

but he ILLEGALLY stopped oil production and still does today. driving FUEL COSTS UP hence food prices and dollar decline

you Ovomit butt kissers need a wake up call

3. Rocket Girl says:

The lack of rain is an issue, but more so is the price of gas. Gas goes up, the cost of shipping goes up. Who pays for that hike? It’s passed on to the consumer.

2. ella funt says:

You can get plenty of meat fromroad kill — and it’s fresher. Drive around the highways–help yourself.

3. Rick Gudobba says:

Gallon of milk at the Dollar store is $4.25.

1. Jack Davis says:

How can they call themselves the “Dollar” store then?

25. Robert Marvin Smith says:

The Congressional Budget Office reported, yesterday, that the correct unemploymment rate is at 10%. Ofumduck’s devout lemmings are cooking the books.

Prices for almost all food items are going through the roof. Yet. We have very few reports from the media complex on this fact or how these prices are hurting the American family.

Why? The helped to create the Great Ofumduck. They must protect him at all costs, to include even your well being.

1. David Kramer says:

The biggest lie being spread for Obama is the GDP. GDP has been stated at 1-3% growth over the last 3 years, this last at 1.7%, the problem with that is this.

The US Federal government has been deficit spending 9-10% of GDP. Meaning they are dumping borrowed money into the economy and by QE also dumping money into the economy. This artificially drives up the market and artificially drives up the GDP.

For the last three years the actual EFFECTIVE GDP is between a NEGATIVE 6-9% rate. We have been in a real Depression for the last three years. A Depression is defined as 4 contiguous quarters of declining GDP. The 4th estate has become the 5th column.

1. Rick Gudobba says:

I have been thinking the same thing, the numbers that are put out are not correct if you subtract the goverments borrowed portion.

26. Robert Marvin Smith says:

This is what happens when the Great Ofumduck runs the show.

27. KCEddie says:

Keep printing that money Odumbo. You think prices are high now. He is just warming up !

1. Marsh rabbit says:

Heck muskrat meats are even 5 dollars apiece. That’s double in the last three years

28. Bill Catz says:

Well, or openers, cattle don’t normally eat corn!!! They eat grass, hay, alfalfa, etc. Feed lots fatten them with corn to hike the price.

The corn is probably GMO anyway so, you never want corn fed beef.

If its fuel price or corn, then why has pork remained lower?

The thing is many comments here make no sense.

1. George H says:

Yes corn does fatten cattle. Fat provides the flavor you enjoy in beef. GMO, can never be sure about that.

Fuel price affects every single thing you purchase. Sure some things remain low based upon supply and demand. When supply is tight the price climbs because you have more buyers than product. When there is an over supply the price decreases because bargains are to be had.

When you say pork has remained lower, do you mean that there has been no price increase at all? Or do you mean that the increase in pork as a percentage has not gone up like beef has?

2. Hal McCombs says:

GMo? I hope so. I like the idea of my corn not needing poison on it to keep away bugs. Poison kills – no one has ever shown that ‘gmo’ corn harms anything. Just vague fears about ‘something might happen’.

1. ChiefEOD says:

Hal, the reason GMO’s don’t need poison sprayed on them is because of the genetic modification they now produce that same poison from within. Its still there you just don’t see it. Whats to say that this ability to self-produce toxins can’t migrate to the bacteria in your gut?

2. ReallyComjeOn says:

I wish it hurt to be ignorant…. GMO corn is roundup ready and DRENCHED with roundup. Yummy for you I guess.

3. 7cedars says:

You’re wrong. To fatten one up for slaughter, you use corn based feed. One of the reasons the price of meat is high is because corn is being used MORE, for the first time ever, for ethaniol rather than as feed. The droughts didn’t help either, and other states took advantage, and we’ve been having to buy hay that prices are triple normal prices, not including shipping.

And P.S.: Pigs eat corn based feed, too!

1. Leon P Christensen says:

I am a small farmer here in central utah, I am actually retired from a const. business I had for 4o years. I bought a farm and recently bought another 33 ac. I raise mostly certified weed free hay and sell to places like Capital Reef Ntl. park and to horse owners who ride on the ntl. forests where certified hay is required. If you have a minium of $500,000. to invest in farm ground water and equipment and the ground can cost much more depending on the loction, and if you are willing to work very hard for minium wages, then this is a good way to supplement your retirement income and you can listen to everyone tell you how much money your making. Don’t believe me? try it. I enjoy farming and growing things, and so do a lot of the big farmers. Let’s hope they keep on doing it. By the way good quality alfalfa hay in my area sold last year for $250. a ton.

4. Rick Gudobba says:

Pork, chicken and fish have all gone up too. Beef has gone up more % wise.

5. glenp says:

ALL food stuffs are GMO you moron, whether it is done by selection or in a lab. what an idiot

29. Steve says:

Corn to Ethanol was to replace MTBE a proven CANCER causing carcinogen. MTBE can last for 100 – 1000 yrs when it contaminates water supply’s, maybe even longer!

1. Steve says:

Just like fracking for oil has caused if not done right…

2. Stan says:

30. ONTIME says:

While Barry on High created the means to drive up energy and is constantly making it worse with his intent to turn us socialist green, realize that energy is the crux of all commodities, when it goes higher so does everything else you use or need…..the Mysery Man is not your friend.(he ain’t even credentialed)

1. miker5 says:

After four more years of Obama (or Obama-white if he wins), you’ll be suprised what people will end up eating.

31. President Foodstamp says:

Don’t worry, it’s just Obamanomics…

32. KingAndQueenObama says:

How’s that Hope & Change working out for YOU?!?!?!

33. Rick O'Shea says:

That’s the reason G*D made squirrels.

1. gwbnyc says:

Got venison and antelope in the freezer, don’t need beef- or not a lot of it, anyway.

2. Tarantula says:

Won’t be long before squirrels will be $18 a pound…

34. Artic Slayer says:

vegans will die…. as for me and my family we will eat moose, bear, rabbit and all the meats…. and when you are wanting food…. yuuuuuuuup We will have enough for your family too…. It’s just a way of life here in Alaska…. We help the needy even if they are stupid!!!

35. SineQuaNon says:

Vegans are DESTROYING our planet

Animals (Cows) inhale oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide
    Plants (vegetables) “inhale” carbon dioxide and “exhale” oxygen
    We all should have learned this very early in school……

So the more cows you eat the less carbon dioxide thus LESS “global warming”.
    The more vegetables you eat the less oxygen and thus the MORE “global warming”.
    Ergo….Vegans are a PRODUCER of “global warming”

I rest my case …………….. Mmmmmmmm flesh

1. artemis133 says:

Wow. Unbelievably stupid reasoning.

1. SineQuaNon says:

about as stupid as “global warming” and vegans, huh? ;P

2. narg says:

Well, vegans do poop a lot more than normal people.

3. Revsmackaho says:

Wow are you serious? Don’t you know the more beef people eat the more cows that are raised, not to mention the acres of trees cut down to raise them? Unf%&$n real you know how to use a computer!

4. Mike Merryman says:

My room mate was vegan and man did his loads stink!

2. Parlevous says:

I cannot believe you stupid idiots who didn’t realize the sarcasm in what this person wrote. How stupid! SineQuaNon- you were a riot and your comment went right over the heads of those numb nuts. Love the name too.

1. SineQuaNon says:

ikr! can’t…stop…laughing.

3. Veganman says:

WOW! Stupid!

4. David Kramer says:

I love your reasoning and satire, you should really get them going by using their global warming verbiage to show the exact same reasoning as this comment. Laughing my arse off.

5. ChiefEOD says:

hmmm apparently sarcasm is an unknown term to many here…just sayin

6. glenp says:

VEGANS produce 4X the METHANE real people do another greenhouse gas

I always wanted to look like a VEGAN, a member of that sickly breed

36. zbacku says:

We can blame the STUPIDITY of using most our corn for inefficient gasoline for much of the rise in food prices

37. Marine72 says:

All the hot air means nothing. Beef or veggies, if you want more, then just hop on down to your local USDA for your food stamps – SNAP in action. No problem, gummint to the rescue.

38. mike says:

What a scam…. all commodities( water, oil, beef,you name it) are conveniently scarce in America, all at the same time in the last 4 years. QE1 ,2 and 3 working hard against you, and your government or corporate check, if you are are a lib.

39. Kevin says:

Millet anyone?

40. linda says:

As the USA spends, the dollar goes down. The dollar will continue to go down indefinitely until the government is dramatically decreased in size. People are not going to be able to buy food and will be starving in the USA. Then sanity in spending will take over …and only then,…. but by then the dollar will be less than a penny.

41. Karen M says:

What high beef prices? I can go to our local Aldi Market any day of the week and get Lean Ground Beef for just $1.89 perpound in the 5 pound package tray.

1. David Kramer says:

Lean? You are a liar. 80/20 is at about 2.99/lb now on sale. Why lie?

42. Steve says:

Learn to hunt. Venison is a delicious beef substitute and it’s better for you than beef. I haven’t bought beef in years. I sometimes order beef when I go out to eat, but that’s it. Four deer a year keeps me well stocked with red meat for burgers, chili, meatballs, tacos, burritos, fajitas, stew, roast, steak, kabobs, sausage, etc. My girlfriend and her daughter love it.

43. caughtmyeyedesigns says:

Stop exporting OUR beef

1. John Scott says:

To Iran!!!! yea!!!

44. whats for dinner says:

I belong to PETA-people for the eating of tasty animals.

1. Ted Nugent clone says:

I like to now and then go to the natures meat locker and get some backstraps.

45. Black Sabbath says:

How ’bout them high prices!
    Hope and Change!

46. George Johnson says:

Squirrels! I got squirrels eating my peaches. So I’m gonna shoot ’em and kill two squirrels with one stone. Stop ’em from eating my peaches, and have me a nice little mean.
    I may go after some rabbits too.

47. Ben says:

Almost all comments are related to the expense side of the equation. Focus on income, and expenses become less of an issue. Say you consumed 5 lbs of beef per week. Monthly we are talking about an additional $50 dollars in expense, maximum. How hard is it to make an extra $500 per month, much less than $50? I’m not wealthy, but what are we really talking about here?

1. Romneytime says:

Uh…Obama sucks?

2. Spiro Andritsis says:

Fifty bucks today a hundred tomorrow…and this is only one food item. Orange juice was just under 5 dollars a gallon this weekend.

48. Dan says:

I haven’t had McDonald’s in 3 years, but I just wanted to see how much a double cheeseburger at McDonalds was and just like 3 years ago, its still 99 cents…How is that possible?

Don’t forget that McDonald’s beef is pumped full of preseratives, hormones, is GMO corn fed, and ammonia is sprayed on the beef to kill the E. Coli. Enjoy sheep!

1. Colin says:

or a tofu burger!

2. Clete Torres says:

Got links and FACTS to back up the wild accusations, Danny?

…didn’t think so.

3. D says:

That Ammonia is ‘sprayed’ onto virtually all beef, not just McDonald’s and since it evaporates so quickly, there are no traces of it left. There are horror stories, sure, but more misinformation out there than anything. I think I prefer this to E-Coli, myself, too. I don’t know about you.

1. Brother says:

Wow, D, you are an idiot. Ammonia doesn’t evaporate that fast from the folds of meat processed in a Slaughterhouse because it’s MIXED IN. Add to that the corn fed Beef you’re eating is just filler.. like corn meal in dog food. BEEF that’s fed corn to fatten the cows up is just adding FAT, not muscle. So you’re just eating fattier meat cuts and getting the nice whammy of genetically modified organisms to boot.

Yum.. Corn Fed Meat is for idiots.

49. LastOneStanding says:

I think it is a gene thing. Three square meals a day and two with meat never hurt any of my relatives and family. They all made it into their 80 and 90s. I have the last remaining Aunt at 98 still going strong. It looks like this generation will also be following their trend.

50. pete says:

This story left out a very important reason why the beef cattle population has shrunk so much,ethanol.The ethanol mandate has swallowed up almost 50pct.of the corn crop which is used to feed cattle.The strange thing is that alot of the ethanol is exported.As a dairy farmer for 35 years,my corn cost have increased from $135 per ton to $325.My feed options are limited to replace corn in my feed as almost all other feed suppliers use corn price as a reference to price their own feed products.In other words its a lose lose for everyone.It would be nice if the media for once would expose the ethanol scam for what it is.

1. Beef Bro says:

Shame on the phychos in the ethinol movment & BO, it is JUNK science. God bless you for keeping America fed.

2. Bill Strain says:

The ethanol producers wouldn’t be able to sell their product at all were it not heavily subsidized by the “gubmint”

51. dam says:

Buy directly from the ranchers. It’s all the middle men who are skrewing you.

1. Durkee says:

It’s the administration thats skrewing us, my deluded friend, by refusing to entertain the use of domestic resources.. A weak population is easily enslaved. Think of all the things that have been said and done over the years by the left that we know, ultimately, make us a weaker, less virile, less confident society. We’re being conditioned to accept chains IMO. And as we weaken wo go to the government wringing our hanbds and crying “what shall we do, what shall we do…” and the enslavement is complete.

52. TG says:

This article doesn’t seem to point out the irresponsible government policies of turning the cattle feed into ethanol…I guess they didn’t want to give credit where credit is due.

1. Whitman says:

Your correct about ethanols effect on beef and pork prices. Here in Iowa 33% of our corn crop go’s to ethanol distillers.
      It takes more energy to grow corn and produce ethanol than were saving. Also ethanol blended fuels get about 15% less mileage than regular gasoline.
      The Feds. are blowing smoke up our ASS when they beat the ethanol drum.

1. Henry Thoreau says:

Not to mention your miles per gallon efficiency is cut in half with ethanol.

2. Durkee says:

Agreed. A culture that burns its food for fuel doesn’t rank high in the intelligence department. This is what happens when you have a NIMBY culture that says “oil? Not in my back yard. Windmills? Not off my vinyard.. Coal?? Not i jnmy mountains. You eat your food and starve. Maybe that’s the idea.

53. Ray says:

I love vegetarians.
    they’re all I eat.

1. Ivan Namrehs says:

It is possible that the vegetarians you eat are cannibals. Cows are fed cow products as a protein supplement. That contributed to Mad Cow Disease, some of the cows used for feed were too diseased to be used as meat.

2. tom thomas says:

That’s a bumper sticker to-be if I ever saw one!

54. coolercoleman says:

The price of all food has gone up. Every time Obama has the fed print more money, your money is worth less. It’s called inflation. If Obama remains in office it will be called hyper inflation.

1. george says:

It may not surprise you to learn that those who comprise and support the ruling class take a decidedly Marie Antoinette attitude toward the dangers and effects of hyperinflation. With their pay scales and benefits, I suppose they can afford to. I know of a federal employee whose advice on fighting inflation is to “buy indexed bonds.”

55. Morris says:

Well, there’s always long pig & monkey meat. Sure hope it doesn’t come to that! As for me, just show me the way to the cheap meat (reduced price) bin. Just bought three beautiful NY strips for six dollars and change. We’ve got some Asian (Korean) supermarkets that sell a very wide variety of great fruits & veggies at half the price of the major chains (Safeway & Giant in our area). Also, some independent dollar stores carry some excellent and often exotic spices, canned & packaged goods at half to one third what you’d pay at the major chains.

56. Red says:

This is the HOAX and CHANGE that foolish people voted for….unfortunately those people surely will not have a clue how Obama’s QE1 QE2 and QE3 have caused inflation in the price of just about everything……

Notice how gas has doubled under Obama yet demand has gone down?

57. roman says:

go ahead vote for obama or romney and watch how inflation will soar like a rocket with the irony attached that interest rates will stay very low. then watch them as they will impose economic austerity measures like driving days and community food sharing weekends. then everyone will say: “we could have voted for ron paul”

1. Bobby says:

Wipe off the Kool-Aid mustache. The election is for president, not king. Dr. Paul could be elected president and nothing would change. Contrary to what the Branch Paulinians think, the good Dr. Paul does not have a magic wand that he would then wave on Inauguration Day and make everything all better . There are two houses of Congress that he would need to deal with. There’s where the real problem lies.

1. luxomni says:

You hit the nail on the head. Add to that the voters who put those idiots in Washington to bring the pork home for things that should be locally funded.
        There are only three possibilities of send money to Washington. You can get back less than you sent, in which case you are being ripped off! You can get back less than you sent in which case it is you getting ripped off; or, you can get back the same amount you sent, in which case, why bother?

58. zig zag says:

This must be the help from Obamacare!

59. Dirty Turtlehead says:

Sorry but I refuse to pay 3.89 a lb. for 75/25% Ground chuck.
    A whole chicken on sale at Kroger is as low as 79 cents per pound, now that’s a deal. I miss hamburger, steaks, roast. and sliced top round in my French dip sandwiches. It’s getting to the point that it’s cheaper to buy a dollar menu McDouble cheeseburger than it is buying it raw in the stores.
    We’ll look longingly at these low prices if we are punished with another 4 years of the hope for change prez…

1. John Scott says:

WOW can I send you my addy??? I need 79 cents a pound chicken!!! I hear it taste like bho!!! sorry didn’t mean to sound like an American in America!!!

60. Donatella says:

If you look at lifelong meat eaters compared to lifelong vegans, the vegans are by far healthier. As to the person who said this was somehow Obama’s fault, I don’t think he controls the weather in Texas or Oklahoma, which is the reason the cost of dead decaying cow meat is going up.

Don’t believe me about the steak eaters vs. the vegetarians? Go into a steakhouse any day of the week and take a good long look at the patrons. They are the picture of ‘heart attack waiting to happen’.

1. Kevin says:

your smug elitism identifies you as a typical liberal. Always have to be trying to control what others do. You eat your tofu. I’m eating my steak. Its why I have incisors and my eyes face forward. I would bet you on the other hand, have molars and chew real slow

1. Another Jean says:

Enjopy your bypass suregery!

2. Another Jean says:

Yeesh. I must have typed with my eyes closed! Anyway, if it’s “elite” to prefer to avoid colon cancer, heart attack, and stroke, more people should be elite! You meat eaters are raising the cost of health insurance. Maybe you should smoke, too, and get it over with even faster.

2. Sammie Jo says:

Most vegans are anemic and don’t get enough protein.
      I worked in a health food store in Houston for years, the most sickly people were the vegans, they also had the worst attitude, always cranky.
      I’ll keep eating meat until I can’t afford it, but, like all things, it will cycle, we’ve been getting plenty of rain in my part of Texas the past 2 months, herds will build up again.
      You vegans can have the veggies, just don’t try to take my meat away.

3. yiddishlion says:

Having worked in the healthcare industry for the last 20 years I can attest that you are a liar. Vegans are ALWAYS the sicker of the bunch. AND their life expectancy is less. Nice try though.

4. Durkee says:

I”f you look at lifelong meat eaters compared to lifelong vegans, the vegans are by far healthier.”

Not true. If you want to know what is truly healthy, look at what ANY nation feeds its military. Take a good look.

5. Clete Torres says:

Vegans are not only not healthier, they are far and away NOT as smart.

Your post proves it.

6. John Scott says:

YOU are wrong!!! I have been there… trying to be PC correct…. naaaaaaa just eat healthy…. really…. check the facts fella…

61. Sam says:

This is inflation and is from the federal reserve creating money out of thin air. Vote Ron Paul and end this nonsense.

1. John Scott says:

shishhhhhhhhhh can’t we just git along!!!!

I have never voted demoncratic but I am going to vote for bho…. I think he is the best thing for America in recent history… 4 more years and this country will be purged of a corrupt congress and senate because the people are going to purge every politician out by tea party votes…. There will be unrest like never seen in America. Because when good is bad and bad is good and Americans can’t say “Merry Christmas” because good is bad and can’t store more than seven days worth of food because good is bad and can’t own a gun because good is bad….. There will be a purging of the bad by the good! So lets pull together and re-elect this idiot….

OK jus kiddin!!! He and she is outta here in less than a year!!! OMG how much more damage will be done!!!!

62. oldbill07 says:

We will buy a chuck roast once in a while and I cut it up to make beef stew or vegetable beef soup about once a month I go to a local meat packer and buy T bone stakes or rib eye one meal for our family of three The rest of the time it is chicken we buy boneless breasts if we buy whole chicken I cut it to eighht pieces pork Iis very versatile I watch for sales when a supermarket has pork or chicken as a lost lead. also I make my own sausage. wehave a big freezer I live in a rural area a neighbor gave us about 75# of deer meat.

63. Thomas Warmuth says:

I run a BBQ restaurant which sold 1.4 million pounds of beef last year, as well as sausage, pork ribs, chicken, and turkey, so I’m somewhat familiar with this market. It’s not just beef going up – it’s everything, and it’s going up for everybody. Yes, the cattle herds are small, but that shouldn’t affect pork, turkey, and especially not chicken, which had the same price per pound for 9 years until it went up 10 cents a pound late last year. Some of this is due to rising corn prices, since corn is feed. Too much corn is being made into ethanol, causing shortages and price hikes. Some is the high cost of fuel. The rest is good old fashioned inflation, which we are told is around zero. That’s a flat out lie, as everyone who goes to the grocery store can attest.

1. oldbill07 says:

The nearest supermarket to me is a food lion and in general the beef that they sell is not all that good. The next nearest supermarket is at Wal Mart about 15 miles distant. All of their meat is better than and less expensive than Food lion. I am retired Navy and there is a huge commissary about 40 miles away all of their meats are top of the line and the price is better plus no state tax. We go there if we have to be in that area for some other reason.

64. Raj says:

Another Obama tradgedy.

65. Eleanor Lock says:

We have learned to get used to life without so much meat. I refuse to pay $4 a pound for fatty stew meat to make a stew. We do go to a local chain buffet on senior’s hours prices twice a week and enjoy a full meal for less than we would pay for a pound of a half of meat. We are not vegans, IMHO you need meat for the zinc that it provides and other nutrients, but just not very much. We eat very
    sparingly (even at the buffet, no need to make that an excuse to overeat!) and relish and enjoy every bite. Of course, we are in our 70’s, retired and don’t have to feed a family, so I do know that these price increases hurt families a lot!

66. Jason Harlow says:

Don’t like the price? Raise your own food. It’s easy for the most part, rewarding, and you will save thousands.

1. oldbill07 says:

I have three Acers that my home is on I till a bit more than a quarter Acer and raise all of my own produce in summer we can foods freeze and preserve this Christmas we purchased a vacuum heat shrink for food. I give fresh produce to friends and to needy people all summer into late fall. I have planes to expand the garden and grow more this summer. The growing season in my part of N. C. begins about April 15 and lasts until the first frost usually in late October. Broccoli, collards, cabbage can be grown in cold weather so I have a winter garden.

1. Literate Larry says:

I have 3 “Acers” IN my home, you must have an awefully small home! Of course…you can’t eat computers.

67. Mark says:

Sorry, I misread the title. I thought that it red “Soaring Beef Force Shoppers To Find Other Foods”. I was going to suggest shoppers use a shotgun.

68. PETA kills animals says:

It depends on where you live……we still have very, very affordable meat prices – even dirt cheap when the grocery chains have their once-a-month sales……………….

1. Brian Hovland says:

When we buy our annual half cow, it is still 1.89 a pound. In the store…..a different story. That I see going up rather fast. But still, it is affordable.

69. Flyover State Guy says:

Get a group of five or six families together and buy directly from a local farmer / rancher. We pay $3 lb dressed weight for lean, barley-fed beef. Your actual cut beef yield is about 70-75% of the dressed weight, about $4-$4.30 a lb. You’re supporting local ag, local families, and you’re getting better quality beef. If you’re inner city, then search the web for similar local opportunities.

70. Trish says:

Glad to have a freezer full of Moose. Hope to win the lotto again this year. Wild turkey and brook trout are good fillers. Time to learn to fend for yourselves.

71. Syd says:

Another benefit from the New Totalitarians’ Marxist Sheeple Revolucion! MOTO: “We brought it all down, man! Now what?” ——SIMPLE ECONOMICS:…When the Hope vs. Change Curve intersects the Cost of Beef Curve, people go hungry.

72. Super16 says:

Eat pork. Can’t beat a good ole piece a hog.

73. Sheri says:

As beef prices have continued to go up and my husband got laid off from his job I have started cutting the amount of beef in my recipes by 50%.

74. RagnarB says:

Don’t buy. Every few months our local super upscale market puts prime beef on sale at prices lower than choice, even choice on sale. I load up and freeze. Keep trading down. or don’t buy.

75. Fe Up says:

Here is an idea-stop exporting beef and keep it here for Americans. Simple and easy. Tired of feeding the rest of the world at my expense.

1. NY9Solyndra says:

Ranchers should sell their beef for the highest possible price, regardless of who buys it.

1. Ozlanthos says:

So we should starve so ranchers can get rich? I mean I am a free market capitalist, but that doesn’t seem very good for the rest of our local economy!

76. Mark Hillyard says:

Should have left the Great Plains to the Buffalo. If you want beef just use your smarts and serve it up in stews and other dishes that place more imphasis on veggies, pasta, potatos, and other things. No one needs a 1 lb piece of beef every day. Or get your gun and shot Bambi. Tastes just like chicken.

1. Ben Bryant says:

“Or get your gun and shot Bambi”.

I do.

1. AnyoneButObama says:

Me too!!!! I not only hunt Bambi, but Bullwinkle too and got a Buffalo last year!! I have plenty of meat in my freezer. Also plant a garden every spring and have a cellar full of canned foods.
        I assure you, when others are starving me and mine will be just fine.

77. Obamaroid Ointment says:

Don’t worry, there’s still enough tax money around to buy Dear Leader & Moochelle their $26 lb. Kobe beef burgers.

78. Zak says:

Maybe PETA and us crazy vegans have had it right all the time!

1. Otto Zeit says:

If “PETA and us crazy vegans” being “right” depends on the vagaries of our economy and its confluence with drought in Texas and rising beef exports, you are even more pathetic than I thought. I’d say “nice try” — but it really wasn’t.

2. Locke says:

No. Wrong yet again.
      I hope you are taking vitamin and mineral supplements as a vegan diet is the most unhealthy one possible.

1. mmercier0921 says:

a vegan diet supplicated with beef bone in vinegar is sustainable for human form and health.

Vegan’s get most of their vitamins and minerals from the dirt that is consumede with greens and grains.

electrolyte and calciums need to be added to ensure reproductive viability of the native.

2. Obamao says:

FACT: Humans who eat meat have a 50% chance of getting a heart attack sometime in their life. Humans who eat no meat have a 4% risk of getting a heart attack sometime in their life.

Come back when you’re educated.

Learn before you leap

3. vegans just want attention says:

How could you have it right? A vegan diet is not as healthy as one with meat.

4. Super16 says:

When you die of malnutrition, then you’ll have it right.

5. Ozlanthos says:

Go to the mirror, open your mouth, and check out your teeth….Assuming you have them, notice the ones that look kind of like fangs? Yeah, those! They are called “canine-teeth”, and their function is to enable you to rip flesh from bone! Now you know how full of it PETA is about the human diet!!!!!

1. Obamao says:

Our canine teeth resemble nothing of carnivorous beings. our canines look much more like herbivores, and are meant to bite into fruits and vegetables, not meat.

Learn before you leap

2. Deb Farrell says:

Then I assume that you race through the fields like a rabid dog and mount the animal you plan to eat and kill it without using firearms and then chew the uncook flesh from the bone.

That is the function of the canine teeth and what the humans have is a genetic throw back.

Early man ate more berries and vegetative diet because it is easier than hunting an animal.

Those canines you are so proud of don’t have the ability to rip anything off the bone. If they could then man would not have learned to utilize tools to do the job and lazy backsides like yourself wouldn’t spend you time with a cart in Walmart looking at the meat on sale.

6. TheTRUTH says:

“Vegan” is an old Navajo indian word that translates as “Bad hunter”

1. Obamao says:

The Navajo didn’t have a language of syllables. any third grader can tell you that their language consists of 4 tones. low, middle low, middle, high.

Learn before you leap

7. Zak says:

79. JerzeyBoy says:

1. AimHighCy says:

Love the Chik-Fil-A plug. Nice.

80. Tim Benner says:

Come on. You are in a meat locker in Philly and no reference to Rocky? Yo’ Adrian!

Comments are closed.