15-Year-Old Charged In Senseless Beating Of Vietnam Vet

By Elizabeth Hur, Walt Hunter and Todd Quinones

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Philadelphia police have arrested and charged a 15-year-old boy (pictured below) with attempted murder following a vicious beating of a Vietnam veteran.

Lt. George McClay said, “We had a lot of help from juvenile probation, the school district police and a lot of citizens. Had a lot of phone calls and tips online, I bet I had 30-40 phone calls tonight alone and it’s probably just disgust from what happened to that poor gentleman.”

The 64-year-old veteran, who lost his eye while serving his country, was violently beaten during an attack by a group of teens on a Philadelphia street earlier this week. (see related story)

The attack happened shortly after 6 p.m. Tuesday in the 5000 block of N. 5th Street in the city’s Olney section.

“These animals are specializing on our elderly people out here and a gentleman who served our country,” McClay said.

According to investigators, Edward Schaefer was walking to meet his wife at the bus stop when he was approached from behind. McClay said one of the suspects began the violent attack and at least one other juvenile joined in on the beating.

The suspects then fled the scene on foot after police say a Good Samaritan came to the victim’s rescue.

“He fell and that’s when I came across the street. When they saw me, that’s when they scattered,” said Donald Jones. “He was trying to talk and I said, ‘No, stay there. I got you.’”

Schaefer was rushed to Albert Einstein Medical Center with fractured skull and severe injuries to his face and hand.

Ed Schaefer believes the teens might have beaten him to death.

“They just did for no reason. They just did it. They don’t know me. I don’t know them,” Schaefer said. “They saw an elderly gentlemen walking down the street with a cell phone. They decided to beat him up. That’s exactly what they did.”

suspects 15 Year Old Charged In Senseless Beating Of Vietnam Vet

(credit: Youtube)

The Fraternal Order of Police offered a $1,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the suspects.

By Thursday night, police said with help from the public, they identified all six individuals seen in the surveillance video they released of the incident.

Police said the juveniles range in age from 14-16 and are all from the Olney area.

Further investigation revealed there was a motive behind the initial attack.

“The complainant was on a cell phone when they walked by so it was actually a robbery. What they did after that, nobody’s been able to explain that to us yet,” McClay said.

Police say a second 15-year-old will be charged for taking part in the beating and robbery. The remaining four juveniles are considered witnesses at this time.

The 15-year-old charged earlier Friday is being held at the Youth Studies Center and is scheduled for a detention hearing on Friday.

Top Content On CBSPhilly

Comments

1. ANGRY BLACK MAN says:

THEY SHOULD PLASTER PICTURES OF THE THUGS AND PARENTS ON THE FRONT PAGE OF THE NEWSPAPER,SHOW WHERE THEY LIVE ON THE NEWS, THERE ADDRESS SO WE ALL CAN WRITE TO THEM, EMAIL ADDRESS. WE SHOULD LET THEM KNOW THE MEDICAL COSTS, FIND OUT HOW THEY PLAN TO PAY? AND ASK THEM WHAT KIND OF SOAP THEY PLAN TO USE IN PRISON? WHY DID YOU DO IT?

2. Nancy Shell says:

When this report first came out many of the comments were to hate all Afro americans an Hispanic people in Philadelphia. Now that it is been noted that he Mr Scheafer was was assisted by an Afro-American male Mr. Jones, where are the racial hate commentors now. I have worked in surburban and city schools and believe me when I tell you ignorance and hate know no bounds.Racial hatred starts at home with the parents who speak and tolerate this racial intolerance fitlh. I wish the gentleman who was assaulted a speedy recovery and the teens who did this an opportunity to reflect in jail how they could make better choices. Since I live in the neighborhood most of the people I encountered have been wonderful multicultural neighbors and I have been. I resent but expect to be painted with a broad of prejudice by people who don’t live here or visit here. I’ve lived here 15 years peaceful years and raised 2 Afro- American sons asa single mom who have both protected seniors and stopped break-in crimes. So just stop the melanin hate and just nab the criminals

1. PabloKoh says:

I used to carry a 9oz. bear spray with me anytime I rode my bike near these neighborhoods or in downtown where these thugs congregate. Google: Guard Alaska defense devices There was a rash of 7 to 8 of these attacks over the last few years and the majority resulted in serious injuries, scull fractures, facial reconstruction etc. The Chicago Cops did what they could but the attacks only died down when bicyclists started fighting back with their fists, U-locks and bear spray.

3. guest says:

Kudos again to Mr. Jones for stepping in to help Mr. Schaefer – he should get an award or something! Prayers are with Mr. Schaefer and his family during this time of recovery and healing. Prayers are also with the families and the kids involved in this unspeakable violence …. I’m praying for all involved.

4. DEREK GRIBAUDO says:

do these jerkoffs even have souls??????????

5. Risa Mandell says:

This is the third time in a week that I’ve come across humans who commit despicable acts referred to as animals. Such human behavior gives animals a bad name. Wanton violence is unknown to non-human animals. I think “low life” describes such a human. There must be other phrases, too which don’t perpetuate inaccurate beliefs about animals.

6. Judith Dietz says:

How horrible and senseless. These brave soldiers had been through enough when they came home over forty some years ago. I hope they throw the book at t this punk and let him know that this will NOT be tolerated.

7. Karen Noble says:

I hope they lock him up and throw the key away for a long time. To be that violent at that early age is insane. He needs to be off the streets and get some kind of help. There was no reason to beat that man up, none what so ever.

Comments are closed.