Philadelphia Woman Plans Baby Shower For Baby Noel

By Jericka Duncan

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – One local woman is throwing a party to help out a newborn found in a cardboard box on the streets of Philadelphia last week.

“I just happened to look on the news and saw they found a baby in a box, in the area that I’m from, originally,” said Keisha Browning of Lawncrest.

Browning tells Eyewitness News she is paying her recent blessings forward by planning a baby shower for the newborn who was found in a box last week in North Philadelphia.

During that week, Browning says she learned that she was one of hundreds of people who didn’t have to pay their remaining layaway balance after Rev. Alyn Waller of Enon Tabernacle Baptist Church wrote out a $65,000 check from the church to Burlington Coat Factory in Cheltenham.

Days later Browning, who works as a clinical therapist, received another unexpected surprise: She won a school raffle contest.

“They called me and said that I won the $250 raffle.”

In the midst of her good fortune, she thought about Baby Noel and had the idea to plan a baby shower for her. She posted her thoughts on Facebook for friends and family, who encouraged her to plan a celebration for the newborn baby girl, who remains in good condition at St. Christopher’s Hospital.

“I just see a kid in need, and I just wanted to do something,” explained Browning.

The baby shower will at 637 North 13th Street, inside the community room of the West Poplar Apartments in Fairmount. The event is Thursday from 12 p.m. – 6 p.m. All donations will go to the Department of Human Services, which is responsible for placing Baby Noel with a foster family.

Top Content On CBSPhilly

Comments

1. Addy says:

I stopped by today, and this event is genuine and from the heart. These ladies are doing it for the right reasons. I pray that the baby is placed in a good home and that the birth mother gets the medical attention and help she needs.

1. Zakiyyah Burch says:

Thank you so much Addy. We are so happy that you had a chance to stop in. Your heart was in the right place as well. may you have a healthy and prosperous New Year!!!

2. Zakiyyah says:

Hello all, I am helping Keisha with this event. The event is at West Poplar Apartments community room . from 12pm-6om thursday 12/29. 637 North 13th St is the address. If you would like to donate items for baby noel or sweets or bev for guests that are coming it would be greatly appreciated. I can be contacted at 215-436-9240 or email:ajourney4life@me.com

3. Doris Van Natta says:

How can we help Ms Browning help Noel? I cannot find a link here to do so.
    Should we just send donations toher c/o the N. 13th st Poplar Apts? Where???
    TV clip says we can thru this site, but I’m stumped, cannot find any way.

1. Shanda Brown says:

PLEASE REACH OUT TO ZAKIYYAH SHE IS ONE OF THE COORDINATORS HER CONTACT INFO 215-436-9240 or email:ajourney4life@me.com

4. Judy Pacifico says:

would like to know how to donate to the baby shower for baby noel. cannot find any information to do so.

1. Shanda Brown says:

5. petluvr says:

Keisha, you are a lovely person! Here’s hoping many more blessings come your way! The world needs more people like you :)

6. Maria Jones says:

I would likke to donate but cn’t find Ms Browning on FB for Baby Noel’s shower..

1. Shanda Brown says: