Newborn Baby Found In Box On Street In North Philadelphia

By Ben Simmoneau and Pat Loeb

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — A newborn baby girl was found in a cardboard box on the street in the city’s Strawberry Mansion section Wednesday morning.

Police received the call just before 10 a.m. Wednesday after someone discovered the newborn girl inside a brown box at the corner of 27th and Huntington Streets near the Rainbow Daycare and Learning Center. The infant, just several hours old with the umbilical chord still attached, was covered in blankets laying in the box.

Two men were cleaning the streets when one of them picked up the box to place it near a trash pile and that is when he heard the baby start to cry. He immediately notified police and the baby was rushed to St. Christopher’s Hospital to undergo evaluation.

“It is just so sad, so weak because there are so many places and so many people want to take a baby in and raise it themselves,” said eyewitness Robert Taylor. “If a person feels as though they cannot help them or they can’t raise them, it is just pathetic.”

Authorities say the baby girl, weighing five pounds and five ounces, is listed in good condition.

The search continues for the mother of the baby girl and police believe the public may be able to help. The baby was wrapped in some distinctive clothes and police believe someone who knows the mother may recognize them.

Special Victims Lt. Anthony McFadden says her body temperature was a little low but she had been wrapped in a towel, then a sweater, then — what they’re hoping the public recognizes — a black and pink polka dot bathrobe and a red and white houndstooth blanket.

articles of clothing1 Newborn Baby Found In Box On Street In North Philadelphia

Articles of clothing found wrapped around the baby. (credit: Philadelphia Police)

“She took the time to wrap this baby up and she could have taken her to the closest fire house, police station or the hospital with no questions asked,” said McFaddon.

According to police, she may now face charges.

Pennsylvania is one of 48 states that has adopted the Baby Safe Haven law which allows parents to leave an unharmed baby, up to 28 days old, with staff or security personnel at any hospital in Pennsylvania.

For information on the Baby Safe Haven law, click here.

Top Content On CBSPhilly

Comments

1. John says:

She was just celebrating Boxing Day a little early.

2. Alyssa Downing says:

You have 8-9 months to figure tit out with the Safe Haven law and you still dump the child on the street? No excuses…stupid mother. I hope they catch her.

3. Jim says:

Thank you Fenris. Most mothers who have a child and don’t know what to do with the child, also either don’t know about the “drop off” laws or don’t believe that they will really be allowed to walk away.

4. Molly says:

ok yes this woman clearly should not have abandoned her baby the way she did BUT at least she did not try to kill the baby, like some other parents do. she had enough sense not to harm the baby.

5. Shar says:

OK, anti-abortionists, here’s your chance to step up and give a living, breathing, born child a home and a good life. Not that I expect you to take that chance, because raising a child is a lot tougher than carrying signs and yelling and harassing people at women’s health clinics.

1. Char says:

I’ll take her.

2. Cindy says:

Me too!!!! I think someone will always.

3. Amy says:

I will take her, so would many more who cannot have children.

4. Val says:

^^ Shar- I would in a heartbeat take this child or any child for that matter. So for us Anti Abortionist’s many of us would easily adopt a child if it meant saving their life. In the end when a woman kills her unborn child, remember it’s not HER life she is killing but another’s. And, also to add I have 2 children and it is not THAT difficult to be a parent.

6. Trisha says:

I almost cried reading this. I’m one of those women that can’t have children. I’m only 34. That tiny baby deserved a whole lot better than this. What is WRONG with people? I get SO ANGRY reading stories like this – I would do anything to have a baby and someone just throws a baby away like a piece of so much garbage. It makes me physically SICK.

1. Cheena says:

Trisha, my heart breaks for you! My best friend is in the process of trying to have children, not to mention I am looking forward to it myself.

I read about parents who abuse their children, allow them to be in the care of those who will harm them and most of all, neglect them. Children are a gift that many people desire to have.

My prayers to you that God will make a way for you to become a mother. By the way, I am not trying to be cold and dismiss your feelings. People have told me (at my age of 40) that I shouldn’t even try to have children, its too late or why don’t I just adopt. I desire to go have a child. What’s wrong with that? Nothing.

Anyway, God bless you, Trisha!

7. Ellen says:

I saw a black women in the Deptford mall nj. where i work at a kiosk. She was waring a dress with the red and white pattern on. I noticed the dress because it was different style then I usually see. May be they can find this women on the vido camera walking in the mall.

1. faery says:

well ellen if you read the article it says that it was a red and white houndstooth BLANKET so unless she made a blanket from this dress …

8. Djtmak Showtime says:

thats a d..m shame what these people do these days….where are their parents at.

9. Toni Kurtz says:

I know some of my friends that would love to have a child but have touble having a baby I just don’t understand why god gives people like this kids its a sin they shouldn’t have them thank god the little one is in good condition so happy to hear that I hope this will be a Christmas for someone that can’t have kids that will take very good care of the new born

1. Guest says:

Things like this happen all the time and you still believe in a god?

I mean,a god wouldnt allow this to happen in the first place

1. Fenris says:

Au contraire. Gods love this kind of stuff. Pre-Jesus gods anywhere. Abraham and his son, for instance. Put the child in immense, real danger and then save him at the last minute.

10. Danielle says:

What a shame. Out of curiousity, I wonder what the statistics are of the number of drop-offs thanks to Safe Haven. I think it’s a wonderful law and I was curious of the statistics in hopes that it does save many lives.

Comments are closed.