Hall Of Fame Philadelphia Sportswriter Bill Conlin Accused Of Child Molestation

By Pat Loeb, Jim Osman and Dave Huddleston

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Baseball Hall of Fame sports columnist Bill Conlin of the Philadelphia Daily News retired abruptly Tuesday after learning that he’s been accused of molesting underage children decades ago.

“(The feeling in the newsroom) was an overwhelming sense of shock, a sense of outrage, a sense of sadness,” said Larry Platt, editor of the Philadelphia Daily News.

Conlin is alleged to have molested at least four children (one man and three women, including Conlin’s niece), in the 1970’s, when the children were then between the ages of seven and 12.

George Bochetto, Conlin’s attorney, denounced the accusations Tuesday.

“Mr. Conlin is obviously floored by the allegations, which supposedly happened 40 years ago. He has engaged me to do everything possible to bring the true facts forward and to vindicate his name,” Bochetto said. “He has resigned from the Daily News because these accusations have nothing to do with the Daily News and that’s his beloved institution.”

The Daily News confirmed that Conlin retired.

Conlin has worked for the Daily News since 1965, after five years with the Evening Bulletin. According to his Daily News biography, he has covered 37 World Series, six Olympics, five Wimbeldons, and more. For his work, he received an honor from the Baseball Hall of Fame this summer.

“I am sickened by these allegations,” said Greg Osberg, CEO of the Philadelphia Media Network.

Authorities say there is little they can do now as the allegations are from decades ago.
———–

Top Content On CBSPhilly

Comments

1. deliverance says:

I’ve seen belly buttons bigger that this lard azz’s dic.

2. Rick H. says:

The freak show aspects of the self-righteous ESPiN grows and grows.

3. Danielle says:

Two sides to every story. Additionall, there are two sides to look at from an outsider. On one hand, as others have mentioned, something happened 40 years ago (and apparently nothing else in between) leads one to have suspicions to whether or not this is a true accusation. On the other hand, many people who are victims of molestation (even more so for males) have lots of shame and embaressement about the fact (we all no there is no reason to be shameful or embarressed, it was not their fault, they were victims). It’s difficult to believe that someone is going to claim to be molested when they were a child. Anything is possible and I hope the truth is found out… whether the truth is that his name is cleared or that he did do this and his name is shamed.

1. Phillie Phanatic says:

I love Bill Conlin, he molested me and bought me spare ribs then drizzled BBQ sauce all over my green fur and I got mad

4. WJL says:

When I`m King of The World Conlin would get an
    ass kicking beyond belief, then off to jail till he drops dead

5. larryv says:

If true, the real trajedy is the parents of these kids did NOTHING when it happened!
    A good old-fashion butt-kicking shud have been administered!

6. kevin says:

why now ??

1. Peter says:

Because when the Sandusky story went public the families began to compare notes and realized it wasn’t just one isolated kid but tha a group of them had been abused and each kept quiet,

He deserves the same pre-trial treatment as Sandusky and Paterno

2. Jim says:

why not now??

Face it, conlin is guilty.

All these people are lying?? Accuser’s parents are lying too??

3. Mark H says:

Payday? 40+ years and NOW they come forth? C’mon…Kevin, what’s the matter with you.

1. Mark H says:

Oops, I mean ‘Kevin H’, not the Kevin that just posted the original comment. Sorry!

7. robert bello says:

channel 3 freaked me out when they said one of the kids was 5 houses away .I lived on Cranford Rd. before the conlins and would love to know how they can just say that. Was it 5 houses to the left , right, behind or across the street. horrible reporting. You know have people on the street counting houses and looking at people. you Suck. And know I am not in the 5 house area !!!

1. robert bello says:

Sorry for the 3 typos. Was typing fast because of anger level.

2. Mark H says:

They did not live there (near Cranford Rd) at the time this is alleged to have happened. You are not in the area.

8. Mitch says:

I wonder if the clowns on 94 WIP will talk about one of their fellow “sports reporters” and crucify him the same way they did to Jerry Sandusky and Joe Paterno. I’m sure a gag order will be placed on all of them and they won’t even be able to discuss the matter…..hypocrites.

9. Mark H says:

I was there and at that time; his son was my best friend. His wife was my Cub Scout leader. I don’t believe these accusations. Obviously, I can’t know anything for an absolute fact, but I am close to the situation and I do not believe it.

1. Bob says:

Shhhhh…. jump on the money bandwagon!

10. Michael Skiendzielewski says:

When will Rep. Marsico, Chairman, House Judiciary Committee, schedule hearings on the proposals to eliminate the statute of limitations criminally and civilly for child sexual abuse? The proposals have been on his desk for over 6 months. As a father and grandfather, isn’t Mr. Marsico interested in the protection of the Commonwealth’s children in the years ahead? There is NO MIDDLE GROUND, Rep. Marsico; you are either FOR children or FOR the perpetrators.

1. DEAR MICHAEL SKIEN etc says:

IM WITH YOU BIG GUY . LETS GO ON A WITCHHUNT , I THINK 2000 YEARS SHOULD BE INTERESTING TO STOP. OR MAYBE NOT.

LORD KNOWS THESE LAWYERS WANT TO SHOW THEY ARE TOUGH OF CRIME
      DROPPNG A CIGARETTE ON THE CURB, IS NOW A FELONY AND PUNISHIBLE UP TO 30 YEARS THEN WE PUT YOUR PHOTO ON THE WEB, AND YOU MUST REPORT TO THE STATE POLICE FOR LITTERING. YA BIG GUY IM WITH YOU
      MAY THE MAYHEM NEVER END. LONG LIVE THE WITCHHUNT NAME SANE ?

11. WJL says:

I guess it was a good thing he wasn`t “the King of The World”..
    And apparently it was boys and girls so that one comment is not relevant.

12. Jimmi Shrode says:

They should take people like this and put a bullet in their head.

13. Francis Graff says:

What a shame, a brilliant career like Sandusky ruined by temptation.

14. Both says:

If you read the article it was girls and boys!

15. Please...... says:

I bet if he was supposedly molesting boys, everyone would be jumping on the bandwagon that he did it – but I guess cause it’s girls it’s ok to give him the benefit of the doubt right?

1. Tom says:

ready the article, it is both

2. John says:

3 girls and 1 boy is what was reported on DNL.

3. WJL says:

It was boys and girls …he was equal opportunity in that
      regard

4. WJL says:

Who`s giving him the benefit of the doubt? Do you get anything right?

16. rob says:

Not to knit pick here, but does KYW realize there is no writers wing to the Baseball Hall of Fame? They give out an award each year, but those people are not in the baseball hall of fame. They are just an award winning writer.

17. John says:

Well now the media has its Sandusky. Let’s see how they handle it when it’s one of their own.

18. kelprod2 says:

Two sides to every story…I will wait until I hear both before I show up with 3 spikes & a cross. Anytime someone makes an accusation 40 years after an event, I am apt to have very, very serious doubt.

19. SILII says:

Wow. Seems like people are now guilty until proven innocent. At least as far as employment is concerned. Scary.

20. ITS SO SAD says:

ANYONE CAN MAKE ANY ACCUSATION, ANYTIME IN THIS POST PURITANICAL
    SOCIETY IN WHICH WE LIVE. FOR ME ILL WAIT FOR THE FACTS TO PRESENT ITSELF, KNOWING FULL WELL PERSONALY HOW A LIFE CAN BE RUINED EVEN
    BY THE MERE HINT OF THIS