PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Delaware County native, Cardinal John Patrick Foley, died on Sunday, December 11, 2011. Cardinal Foley was 76 years old. (see related story)
He was ordained a priest on May 19, 1962, an Archbishop on May 8, 1984 and elevated to the College of Cardinals on November 24, 2007. The funeral will be streaming live on CBSPhilly.com
The following funeral arrangements have been announced:
Thursday, December 15, 2011
Saint Charles Borromeo Seminary, Overbrook
100 East Wynnewood Road
Wynnewood, PA 19096 (Montgomery County)
- 9:00 a.m.: Transfer of the Body in the main lobby of Saint Charles Borromeo Seminary. Reception of the Body followed by Midmorning Prayer in the Chapel of Saint Martin of Tours.Following Midmorning Prayer Cardinal Foley’s body will lie in state for public viewing in the Chapel of Saint Martin of Tours.
- 7:00 p.m.: Mass celebrated by Most Reverend Daniel E. Thomas, Auxiliary Bishop of Philadelphia. Following Mass the Chapel will be closed.
Friday, December 16, 2011
Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul
18th Street and the Benjamin Franklin Parkway
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- 9:15 a.m. (approximately): Funeral motorcade departs Saint Charles Borromeo Seminary en route to the Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul.
- 10:00 a.m.: Reception of the Body in the Cathedral Basilica followed by Midmorning Prayer. Following Midmorning Prayer Cardinal Foley’s body will lie in state for public viewing in the Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul until 1:30 p.m.
- 2:00 p.m.: Solemn Funeral Mass for Cardinal Foley followed by the Rite of Committal in the Cathedral Crypt (located below the main altar).