THANKSGIVING WEEKEND: Traffic | Travel Guide | Weather | Holiday Guide | Mall Hours

Health: Women Can Control Many Breast Cancer Risk Factors

By Stephanie Stahl

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Preventing breast cancer. A new report says women can make lifestyle changes to reduce their risk of getting the disease. 3 On Your Side Health Reporter Stephanie Stahl has the details.

Even though she worries about it, the hair dye that stylist Jennifer Zietz uses probably doesn’t increase her risk of breast cancer, according to the new study. But her family history does. Her mother has breast cancer and so did her sister.

“It’s really scary. It’s really scary, I mean I watched my sister pass away and it was awful. She was only 28,” said Jennifer.

Nothing can be done about genetics, but a new Institute of Medicine report says there are things women can do to reduce their chances of developing breast cancer.

Avoid combination estrogen-progestin hormone therapies, stop smoking, limit alcohol use, and unnecessary radiation.

“When you have a little pain in your side and somebody says, ‘Why don’t you get a CT scan?’, those are the kinds of things we can probably make a difference by just avoiding that excess radiation unnecessarily,” said Dr. Ora Gordon, a Genetic Specialist.

But the new study says radiation from cell phones doesn’t appear to increase the risk of breast cancer.

The report, sponsored by Susan G. Komen for the Cure, also says maintaining a healthy weight and exercising can help reduce the risk.

Age is one of the biggest risk factors for developing breast cancer. Family history or genetics only account for about 10 percent of cases.

“I’m going to do everything I can, I’m going to fight for myself, my health and my children,” said Jennifer.

The report says the jury is still out on whether many chemicals of concern, including BPA, pesticides, and ingredients in cosmetics and dietary supplements, may increase a woman’s risk for breast cancer. More research is needed.

For more info on the Institute of Medicine Breast Cancer & Environmental Factor Report, click here.

Top Content On CBSPhilly

More from Stephanie Stahl
  • Kathleen Barnes

    I was diagnosed with breast cancer December 14, 2011. I have medicaid and medicare. Medicare pays 80% and medicaid pay the other 20%.But under medicaid I am covered by Amerigroup. I need an a special MRI and South Jersey Regional Hospital is the only place here that has this special equipment. I will be covered as of January 1,2012 by Horizion under Medicaid,but I can’t wait till then. I need medical attention now.I get a mammogram every year and last December this was not there.I’ve contacted Medicaid and stressed the urgency of them switching now.This is a matter of life or death and it seems like they have taken upon themselves to say if I live or die. Please help me.I contact Jeff VanDrews office and just got the run around.They can do the emergency switch ,because the social worker at South Jersey said so and so does my doctor. I don’t want to die. I have 4 grandchildren that I would love to see grow up. Please anything that you can do to help me,would be grately appreciated. You can contact me at (856)765-3588 anytime.I just need this last test so we can see if it spread or it’s just contained to one area.Then I’ll be going to Fox ChaseCancer Center in Pennsylvania.Thank you for your time.

    Sincerely yours,
    Ms.Kathleen D.Barnes

  • Studies Show Women Can Control Many Breast Cancer Risk … | Alternative Cancer

    […] posted here: Studies Show Women Can Control Many Breast Cancer Risk … © 2011 Alternative […]

  • Another Jean

    Thank you Stephanie. There should be much more emphasis on this!

  • Linda Ill

    The British Medical Association uses ABORTION as the highest risk factor for breast cancer!

    Dr. Joel Brind and Dr. Angela Lanfranchani, world-renowned BREAST CANCER researchers, confirm that ABORTION and CONTRACEPTION are the two most common risk factors for BREAST CANCER.


blog comments powered by Disqus
Taz Goes Big!
Download Now!

Listen Live