Nutter In Talks With ‘Occupy Philly’ For Cooperative Relocation

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – The Nutter administration is continuing negotiations with the “Occupy Philadelphia” protesters encamped near City Hall, trying to convince them to move before a renovation of Dilworth Plaza begins.

Mayor Nutter himself met privately Sunday with a group of the protesters about the current conditions at the encampment and about the need to relocate later this month when the plaza makeover begins.

“They have been open, they have been respectful, they have been responsive, and I want to keep that kind of engagement going between the city government and Occupy Philly,” the mayor told KYW Newsradio this morning.

But it is clear that Nutter has no firm guarantee that the protesters will voluntarily move before the renovation work starts.

More immediately, city officials need tents moved for two smaller projects: the removal of some scaffolding from the City Hall tower, and the repairs of a sixth-floor window. Again, there are apparently no guarantees from Occupy Philly that they’ll cooperate with those requests either.

Reported by KYW City Hall bureau chief Mike Dunn

Top Content On CBSPhilly

More from Mike Dunn

1. Jeff says:

Everyone needs to face reality, Occupy Philadelphia is now occupied by homeless folks. I think it is great that when the rich college kids left to sleep and take a shower across the street at the Ritz Carlton, homeless guys moved into their tents!

1. acoustic622 says:

Well at least the homeless now have the protection of the Occupy movement instead of sleeping on grates across the city — this could work out really great, the homeless would keep the space and tents occupied, and the rich white kids will spend their night sleeping in the hotel, and their days protesting; it is good for the hotel, good for the protest movement, and good for the homeless — a win, win, win situation. Better than the Eagles have done so far this season.

2. stan says:

They will have to move sometime,by reason or by force.Something has got to give.

3. James says:

What would Delta do with those miscreants who refuse to vacate the premises?

4. southeasterner says:

You’d think that when Nutter said, “Move..” they would have hightailed it outa there. Hmm…I guess it sounded different when Mayor Goode said, “MOVE…” Doh!

1. acoustic622 says:

The difference is this shanty town is full of white people, but the Move organization was all African-American, and I honestly believe Mayor Goode was misled to the contents of the bomb dropped on the Move house — there were better ways to have solved that situation, and hopefully the city has learned from history —- we can only hope this situation can be resolved without a dozen dead children.

5. Jim says:

If they don’t make room for the work to be done at city hall, they are truly morons and a fraud of a movement. Chances are the work will be done by union workers, who are supposed to be their brothers in this (one of their many) “fight”. If they refuse to move then they are allowing their greed to trump the needs of their follow brothers to be able to work and feed their families.

1. acoustic622 says:

The shanty town was set up to bring attention to a cause, and nothing would bring more attention than refusing to move — it is just like the Republican and Democrats in Washington; each side claims they want what is best for our country, but refuse to truly compromise when it come to solving our problems — if Occupy Philadelphia refuses to move, they are no better at compromise than the politicians in Washington, or the selfish Bleepsters on Wall Street — this would be a great opportunity for the Occupy Philadelphia to negotiate something bigger than just a move for the shanty town, but to get something more from the city government — Mayor Nutter had no difficulty raising private funding when it came to driving the head of the Philadelphia School District (what was that woman’s name? already forgotten), why not drum up private funding to help with homeless and hunger issues within our city? My only hope is the 80 thousand a week cost for Occupy Philadelphia does not lead to another one percent increase in city sales tax (that would be really sticking it to the 99 percent).

6. Moxie says:

I wish Rizzo was mayor. He wouldn’t have allow this abomination to happen in Philadelphia.

1. Armyof1 says:

Same here.

2. acoustic622 says:

Thankfully we live in the 21st Century where (hopefully) this will never happen again in Philadelphia. Wasn’t Frank Rizzo Jr. even voted out of office? Back in the day, Police Commissioner Rizzo was not a great leader with treating all people with respect —- thankfully we now have Commissioner Charles Ramsey who has a higher moral compass than those “bad” old days. We can only hope the shanty town population does not try to force the city to take action — civil disobedience needs to be civil, and some places across the country these shanty towns have become quite uncivilized — a peaceful protest by definition means no violence by the participants — now if the goal of this protest is to be arrested, than that could be accommodated by the city, but also in a non-violent way; some protesters want to be arrested, and view the arrest as a badge of honor, but no police officer needs to be injured or hurt in order to give the protesters what they want —- a peaceful protest can lead to peaceful arrests, and honor for everyone.

7. Another Anonymous says:

My Wife and I thought it would be a good idea to bring our 2 kids to Philadelphia to see the Liberty Bell and other Historic attractions. From a distance, we could see the City Hall. As we got closer, we saw all of the tents and the people. We don’t think we’ll be coming back to Philadelphia any time soon. We’re from Paris. I think all of America should be mindful of how their city and its surroundings look to outsiders hoping to visit them. Paris isn’t perfect at all. But, we do care about our Tourists and how we look to them. We went them to keep coming back, not repell them.

1. Satago says:

Did you guys ever move those guillotines? I’m just wondering where they’ve been stored….And thanks for the City Hall architecture, by the way. it’s a shame you let free speech get in the way of admiring something inspired by your countries architectural style. I’m sure your kids got a lesson in something….

1. Another Anonymous says:

You’re too funny. No, our visit had come to an end and it was time to go back home. I do believe in free speech, as long as it’s not impacting the lives and improvement of others. Don’t get me wrong. We have our share of protests too. But, they are done apparently a little differently in Paris. And I never said we would never come back to Philadelphia. I said no time soon. Because I’m sure this will not go on forever. What we’ve seen of Philadelphia is very nice. And because we don’t approve of certain things, it doesn’t mean they are wrong. As you see, I too have freedom of speech to my own opinion. And that’s all it is, my opinion.

2. Satago says:

I just thought it was ironic, you being from Paris. The “Occupy movement” has reminded me at least a little of the French Revolution, I’m waiting to hear a CEO suggest we eat cake. Also I’m working with some original pamphlets from that revolution at work these days. Well, we hope you change your mind, or perhaps your kids will come back some day. I’ve never been to Paris, but if I do maybe I’ll have the same experience you did here. Regards, Dreyfus

3. Another Anonymous says:

Of course we’ll come back. And all that is happening in the world is part of History. Someday, we’re all going to look back and say, ‘remember when?’ Just as you are working with our History right now, today, it is a part of Histody that will go on forever, even if only in books. And I don’t think you’ll hear any CEO suggest any cake eating. I do, however, respect and admire the courage these people have to stand up for what they believe in. That’s as it should be. Never give up on what you believe in. Always be ready and willing to fight for it. I’m just happy they have chosen to ‘camp out’ as opposed to tearing or burning the city down. It really could be worse than it is. Correct? I thank you for your most intellectual conversation. Continue to have a Blessed day and week.

8. Samuel A. Maffei says:

Um, they could move to “Love Park” it’s a half a block away. Really!

Otherwise, tear gas’em.

1. anon513 says:

I was thinking the exact same thing. The LOVE PARK part …. not gassing them. I mean, afterall, some of them have CHILDREN with them. Let’s show some kind of humane actions towards them if for that reason alone. We don’t ever want to hurt Children.

1. acoustic622 says:

Philadelphia does not have to do anything, the Union workers will storm the plaza if this project does not get started on time — from my understanding the project will last until 2014; that means high paying union jobs, and nothing the city could do would be more devastating that standing between Philadelphia Union and the high paying union jobs —- the union will come in one night and burn those flimsy tents to the ground —

2. Joe says:

I’ve got a better idea. Soap and water. They will run to the nearest landfill to wash it off with garbage

1. Q45 says:

Now that’s not nice.

3. acoustic622 says:

Love Park is where they are planning to hold this year’s Christmas “Holiday” village with all the little cottages that sell holiday decorations and gifts; for the last few years it had been held on Dilworth Plaza. It is really a cute event, and they even have local musicians perform on the stage. Anyway, so many newlyweds like to have their photo taken in front of the LOVE sculpture (artwork) and it would not benifit the city to have the shanty town moved to a favorite tourist destination. The city just wants to move the shanty town across the street from City Hall (in the other direction); it is the plaza with all the giant game pieces on it — not as famous or used plaza, so maybe this shanty town could make the location better known for the city.

Comments are closed.