Halloween Treats For Adults
Are you hosting a ‘spooktacular’ event and need some ideas for your Halloween party? Chef Walter Staib has a few ideas for you.
A recipe by Walter Staib
12 small plum tomatoes
1 ½ pounds Dietz & Watson® New York Horseradish Cheddar
1 large green bell pepper, finely julienned
1 red onion, finely diced
½ cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons Dietz & Watson® Champagne Dill Mustard
½ cup olive oil
Salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste
Pinch of paprika
½ bunch fresh chives, chopped, for garnish
1. Slice the tomatoes, horizontally leaving ¾ of the tomato standing as a bowl. Clean out the bottom halves to make a bowl for the salad. Slice tops of the tomatoes to make a fine julienne to use in the salad.
2. Slice the horseradish cheddar into very thin 2-inch-long strips and place in a mixing bowl.
3. Toss in the tomato, pepper and onion.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the vinegar and mustard, then slowly whisk in the olive oil to make an emulsion.
5. Add the dressing to the cheese and gently toss to coat. Season with salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste.
6. Divide the cheese salad among the tomato bowls and garnish with the paprika and chives.
Hot Sausage Pinwheels
2 Dietz & Watson® Smoked Hot Sausages
1 container crescent rolls or pre purchased puff pastry
Preheat oven to 350°
1. Roll out crescent rolls onto a cutting board
2. Divide one tube in half, and press
3. Wrap each sausage in with the crescent rolls
4. Slice the sausage into ½ inch slices
5. Place on non greased cookie sheet
6. Bake until puff pastry becomes golden brown, about 5-8 minutes
1 pound Dietz & Watson® Braunschweiger
1 cup finely chopped dried cranberries
½ cup chopped pecans
2 tablespoons Dietz & Watson® Whole Grain Dijon Mustard
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon of El Dorado 12 year old rum
1. Slice the braunschweiger into chunks and place in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the remaining ingredients and mix on low speed until well blended, about 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately with toasted pita bread.
2. If refrigerating, remove and allow to come to room temperature, then blend again for 1 minute before serving.
Proscuitto Wrapped Asparagus
¼ pound Dietz & Watson® Proscuitto, sliced very thin
1 pound asparagus
1. Take one asparagus stem bend it until it breaks. Cut the remainder to the same size.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a rapid boil. Add the asparagus to the boiling water. Cook very quickly just until the asparagus become bright green.
3. Remove the asparagus from the pot and put them into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process.
4. Place the asparagus on a paper towel to dry.
5. Wrap each stem with a piece of the proscuitto.
6. Serve with Dietz & Watson® Mixed Pepper Mayonnaise as a dipping sauce.
2 pounds Dietz & Watson® Lacey Swiss, cut into ½ inch cubes
2 pounds Dietz & Watson® Horseradish Cheddar Cheese, cut into ½ inch cubes
1 medium pumpkin for serving
1. Skewer the cheese cubes alternating between the horseradish cheddar & the Lacey Swiss. Making certain to leave the last three inches of the skewer empty.
2. Carefully “stab” the pumpkin with the skewers for a Halloween centerpiece.