2 Killed When Car Plunges Off Roadway Into Pennypack Creek

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Two elderly women were killed after a car flipped off the roadway and plunged into Pennypack Creek in Northeast Philadelphia Monday.

Authorities say the accident happened at about 1:30 p.m. on Krewstown Road near Algon Avenue. The vehicle, a 2006 Lincoln Town Car, left the roadway and crashed into the creek approximately 50 feet below, landing upside down in the water.

A witness who was driving behind the car said the woman couldn’t have been driving more than 20 mph.

“It was crazy. It just went right through the embankment and it was just dust, and my mom was like, “‘slow down,'” said Brandon O’Malley. O’Malley and his family thought the car crashed into another vehicle but soon realized they could no longer see the car.

“It just disappeared,” said O’Malley.

Rescuers pulled both women from the vehicle. The 70-year-old driver was pronounced dead a short time later. Her 71-year-old passenger, identified by police as Elizabeth Jones of the 600 block of Disston Street, was taken to Area Torresdale Hospital where she later died.

The cause of the crash is under investigation.

Top Content On CBSPhilly

Comments

1. Bernard says:

That is a very dangerous strech of road. It is a narrow, downhill grade with sharp curves, and a driver of any age could have lost control of the vehicle. It just happened to involve a 70-year-old woman.

2. Jackie says:

Elderly today is over 90 if frail and need assistance. Elderly 71? I guess to the 6 year old that stated this in the news report, LOL

1. bottomline says:

Go for it, Jackie! I think elderly is when you look around and almost all of your friends pushing up roses, like, it‘s lonely at the top.

3. Olney Falcon says:

“Elderly” is a state of mind… There are 70-somethings in nursing homes, and there are some out running marathons. I’d be more concerned if my child, regardless of age, said things such as, ” It just went right through the embankment and it was just dust, and my mom was like, “‘slow down,’” Sad…

4. bottomline says:

71 is elderly. Some weather the years better then others. My driving was getting seriously flawed at 55, so I giving it up before someone got killed. That was over 20 years ago – I still believe I did the right thing.

5. Catfish Bob says: