College Football: Small College Round-Up; Del Val Goes for 5-0
DOYLESTOWN, Pa. (CBS) – In small college action this weekend, Division III Delaware Valley College puts its 4-0 record on the line Saturday as they host 1-3 Stevenson.
The Aggies are coming off a 50-7 throttling of FDU-Florham and head coach Jim Clements says this match-up will be interesting because this is the first season Stevenson has fielded a football team.
“They are a very young football team, they’ve got a lot of skilled players. They average over 30 points a game on offense, they’ve been struggling as of late on defense, but we are excited for the challenge and we can’t wait to get going,” Clements said.
You can hear Matt Leon’s interview with Jim Clements in this CBS Philly ‘Sports Pod’ podcast…
Delaware Valley is about as stingy as they come when it comes to scoring defense. Opponents average just a shade over 11 points a game against Del Val.
The Aggies’ success has not gone unnoticed as they are now ranked as high as 16th in the national DIII polls.
Elsewhere on the small college docket this week:
– Cheyney will be home to host Millersville. The Wolves fell to 1-3 last week with a loss to Kutztown.
– Lincoln is home, hosting West Virginia Wesleyan.
– Rowan will be home down in Glassboro, hosting Western Connecticut. The Profs are 1-2 overall and 1-1 in the NJAC.
– Those Ursinus Bears are on the road, looking for a third straight win as they visit Moravian.
– Widener tries to bounce back from its first loss of the season Saturday, the Pride will host MAC rival Kings.
Reported by Matt Leon, KYW Newsradio 1060