PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Gunfire erupts in South Philadelphia killing two and injuring two others including the suspected shooter.

Police say it happened Wednesday around 8:30pm in the city’s Greys Ferry neighborhood.

Police responded to reports of a man and a woman shot at the corner of 31st and Tasker Streets. Around the same time, police say calls for help came in from a short distance away near 26th and Tasker Streets where another man was shot.

Police say all three shooting victims were rushed to Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania where the men later died. The female victim was listed in critical condition late Wednesday night.

According to police, officers responding to 31st and Tasker Streets confronted the suspected gunman still on the scene.

“The officer, of course, ordered the male to drop the gun. The male refused. The male we believe fired several times at the police and fled,” Chief Inspector Scott Small with the Philadelphia Police Department explained.

Police say the suspect ran, tossed his gun and tried to get into a car. But the suspect was apprehended before he could drive away. Police say they also recovered the gun they believe was tossed by the suspect.

The suspect was also taken to HUP with gunshot wounds he sustained during the exchange with police. Police say as of Wednesday night, he was listed in stable condition.

Chief Inspector Small added, “You can be sure you’ll see increased presence in the areas where these shootings occurred. It’s a terrible thing. The motivation for a lot of these shootings is nonsense because they’re based on arguments, fights and other petty reasons that really shouldn’t result in gunfire especially someone getting shot and killed.”

Police say their investigation is continuing. While the shootings could be related, police said late Wednesday, they are not ruling anything out.

Reported by Elizabeth Hur, CBS 3

Top Content On CBSPhilly

More From CBS Philly

Latest Videos
Latest Forecast

Watch & Listen LIVE