KYW Newsradio Reporter Karin Phillips Dies

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Beloved KYW Newsradio community affairs reporter Karin Phillips passed away suddenly on Tuesday after a brief illness.  She was 53.

Karin’s news beat kept the Philadelphia region aware of all the unique organizations, programs, and events that make a difference in our community.

She joined the all-news staff in 1979 as a production assistant, and through the years wore many hats at the station – including reporter, writer, and daytime editor.

KYW Newsradio 1060 Reports:

Before becoming a part of the KYW Newsradio team, Karin worked as a reporter for the Burlington County Times. She was also an anchor and producer for Express Traffic Services.

Karin was an adjunct professor teaching broadcast journalism at Rutgers University, where she graduated in 1979 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English and Spanish, and a minor in journalism. In 1998 she obtained her Master’s degree there.

During her undergraduate studies, she was a reporter and editor of the campus newspaper and president of the Spanish Club. She was named Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges and was honored as one of the 50 finest graduates of Rutgers University-Camden.

Karin was also a member of the Philadelphia Flying Phoenix Dragon Boat team, which raises money for the fight against breast cancer.

pix dragonboat 420x400 KYW Newsradio Reporter Karin Phillips Dies

Karin and some of her teammates at the October 2007 Philadelphia International Dragon Boat Festival. (Credit: George Barth)

As a member of the team, Karin helped pack surplus food for distribution to feeding organizations and helped prepare meals at the Ronald McDonald House, a home-away-from-home for families with children receiving hospital treatment in the region.

Karin was a native of Philadelphia and resided in South Jersey at the time of her death. She was a member of the Christian Bell Choir of Burlington County, which performs in neighborhood churches, senior centers, nursing homes, and for inmates at county prisons and jails.

In 2009, Karin received the Human Rights Award for Arts and Culture from the Philadelphia Commission on Human Rights. In 2004, she received the Outstanding Community Service award from the Philadelphia Council of Clergy, the largest multicultural religious clergy organization in Philadelphia.

Karin’s voice may have been silenced, but it will never be forgotten.

Karin is survived by her mother and brother.

1. Louis Adelman says:

Been, listening to KYW since 1988. Karin, has been apart of alot of families. The funny thing is she is still reporting from the sky’s above and the good lord just landed a great one.

I’m a truck driver and KYW is great especially sitting in traffic.

I hope they some how name the title after her. It should now be the karin phillips community relations reporter – To the person that takes her position, will have big shoes to fill.

2. Lorie Flannery O'Malley says:

I’m in disbelief, I thought I heard on KYW the other morning that Karin Phillips died suddenly, what a shock! I googled her name this AM and read the story and all the comments. She had such a distinctive kind soft voice. She was a great reporter. She will be dearly missed by myself as well as thousands of loyal listeners.

3. Susanne LaFrankie says:

God bless. I always loved hearing her tag line it was compassionate and unique.

4. Tandaleya Wilder says:

I worked with Karin many years ago when I was a young news desk assistant at KYW. She administered a lot of tough love as newsroom editor at that time and helped us young wannabes develop a tough skin for the fast paced world of journalism. She was an outstanding community reporter. I’m sad to hear of her passing. She”s gone but will not be forgotten.

5. Meg Rider says:

My deepest condolences to Karin’s family and friends. She was an incredible journalist and was always wonderful to work with. She will be greatly missed.

6. Jack Polk says:

Peace & Blessings to the Family in this time of need.

7. Joe says:

Definitely a friendly, familiar voice! So sorry to hear of her passing! To be gone at such an early age! Does anyone know what the illness is that she lost her battle with?

8. John Conlin says:

I am both shocked and deeply saddened at the passing of my long-time friend Karin. She was my right hand at the Rutgers Gleaner where I served as Editor-In-Chief during our senior year. The awards we received for outstanding achievements in college journalism were in many ways due to her continuous hard work, thoughtful guidance, and dedicated commitment to her craft. It was obvious to her many friends that she was born to be an exceptional journalist, and we all took such great pride in her countless accomplishments in helping her community stay well informed. On behalf of the entire Rutgers community I offer her family our deepest regrets, and hope they take comfort in the fact that while we all must pass on one day, our tremendous admiration and widespread affection for Karin will never die. Rest peacefully my dear friend.

9. JOSHUA says:

So sad to miss such a person may God give the family strength and the community may God remember you in this trying moment we pray for the family

10. Linda Riley says:

She was a true professional, and her voice will be missed by the whole community.

11. laurel says:

A wonderful piece.

12. laurel says:

An amazing, loving person. Her spirit lives. Comfort to the family.

13. Emily Suns says:

Like many others, I was shocked and saddened to hear of the death of Karin Philips. I have always loved hearing her stories in her unique, melodious voice. Her death is a real loss to the station and the community–and makes me realize how much I take for granted in life. My condolences to her family–and her KYW family.

14. karen says:

r.i.p. ms. phillips, may god have mercy on your soul

15. Vince. Roberts says:

I am so sorry for our lost of her she al ways every nice to me when i lost my frist wife Gloria she will be miss when i walk through the news room i could tell Karin was working . She up there looking over all of us God bless her.

16. George Horiates says:

What a beautuful soul Karin embodied. For many years Karin always thought it newsworthy to note our Greek festival as well as many a Greek parade in town. Karin understood that the Philadelphia area is a wonderful mosaic of people and always tried to include many of us in her coverage. A terrific loss for our community.She was the salt of the earth. May she be comforted by the angels in heaven.

17. Marcie says:

RIP Karin. My prayers are with your Willingboro family & your KYW family. KYW lost a good woman.

18. Richard in Allentown, PA says:

Condolences to her KYW colleagues, family, and friends. Her reports helped elevate community initiatives in the region, and KYW and its management should be complimented for this work. I moved to the area and started listening to KYW regularly in 1979, and it’s always sad to learn of the loss of one the longtime familiar voices at KYW.

19. Ken Berk says:

As a listener to KYW since it first hit the airwaves, I was saddened to hear of the passing of Karin. Her work was top notch, but her contributions to the community & her deep faith were unknown to me until now. I’m sorry I never had the pleasure of meeting her. My deepest sympathy to Karin’s family.

20. Lorraine Dischert says:

I was deeply saddened to learn of Karin’s passing. As a long-time listener, it was always such a pleasure to hear her voice. My thoughts and prayers are with her family, friends, and her KYW family. She was a blessing. RIP, Karin.

21. Tess says:

Woke up today to KYW as always shocked and sadden of Karen passing KYW is like family to me listen every morning. Karen will be missed my prayers go out to her family and friends.

22. George says:

Karin was a breath of fresh air to listen to. The content of her stories was often uplifting and I loved the melodious nature of her sign off…Karen Phillips KYW Newsradio. Sympathies to her family and co-workers at KYW.

23. Katie says:

RIP, such a sad time, but thoughts and prayers are with you all as well as her family.

24. Anna Iredale says:

Terrific reporter, straight shooter and fun to work with…so sorry to hear this.

25. Leigh says:

My sympathies to her family & friends.

26. Terry Guerra says:

I logged on early this morning to do some work and couldn’t quite start. I am in shock at Karin’s death. I am offering my prayers today for her and her family and loved ones. I loved listening to her stories on events and activities of nonprofits in Philadelphia. I was so elated when in 2004 she came to the launch event for the West Philly (Haddington and Cobbs Creek) neighborhood planning project by ACHIEVEabilty/The Partnership CDC/Wells Fargo Regional Foundation. May Karin rest in peace, and may her good work and spirit be carried on.

27. Pedro Queeman-Dixon says:

Thoughts and prayers are with her family and with her family at the radio station. May God opened his arm excepting her for the goodness and wonderful work. She did for all of us.

28. Mike Smith says:

Karin was the answer to those who believe the media only leads with what bleeds. She was a go-to person for the nonprofit community, and will be missed.

29. Richard Cirko says:

Karin and I were friends. She graciously accepted an invitation to be a guest speaker at my agency’s annual luncheon this past June, which was terrific. She was always upbeat and fun to talk to. My thoughts and prayers are with Karin’s family. I wish you peace during this most difficult time.

30. Jennifer says:

So so sad. Thoughts and prayers are with her family and with her family at the radio station. She will be missed.

31. Stephen says:

This is the 2nd loss this year for KYW 1060. Two familiar, beloved voices are gone. Karin will be missed…

32. Elaine Mitchell says:

GOD bless Karin’s family and her KYW family. I will definitely miss her reports as I listen to KYW during my day.

33. Charmaine Hurst says:

I am so shock.I am so use to hearing her report on what is going on around the city of Philadelphia.She had such a soothing and calm voice always pleasent.I am impressed of all her acomplishments of the years.She did a lot.She surely is a inspiration to young people in school and in college to keep going to the top to reach your goals I always like when she ends her commentary,”this is Karen Phillips,KYW NEWS RADIO”.She will be missed and I will miss her part of reporting.:(

34. Karen Cutler says:

I had the pleasure of knowing and working with Karin over 20years. She was a true professional. Her voice may be silent but the stories she told will live on forever. My thoughts and prayers are with her family and the entire CBS/KYW family. She will be greatly missed!

35. Amy L. Ringenbach says:

Dear Steve and the entire KYW NewsRadio family, What a shock. So sad. Karin was such a skilled reporter, a welcome voice of news and broad interests whose work –and humor! — will be sorely missed. What a year it’s been for your news family, with the loss of Don Lancer, too? Remembering working with Karin and the rest of the mighty Snow Closings “SNOT” team so early on snowy mornings. Warmly, Amy Ringenbach ( fellow KYW1060 newman Harry Johnson’s ex-wife and newsroom staffer)

36. Marc says:

You guys have had a rough year…losing her and Don Lancer. Thoughts and prayers for all of you and their families.

37. Renee Oppenheim Handwerk says:

i just moved back to Philadelphia after 6 years in Florida and she was one of the voices on KYW that i was glad to hear again. what a shame, a loss for her family and the Delaware Valley.

38. Anne-Marie Wojcik says:

What a shock. My deepest condolences to her family, friends and colleagues. Loved listening to Karin on KYW. Karin, you will be missed.

39. GREEK PICNIC says:

Met her 7 years ago when she came to my church to do a story on the reaction of the local Russian American community to the Beslan School Terrorist Attack.She greatly impressed me with her professionalism,enthusiasm,empathy,and inteligence.
    I am truly sorry to hear of her passing.

40. Jenny says:

That’s really too bad. She was really good. Even if I had not realized that I was making note of her work over these year and listening to her in particular, as soon as I saw the name and read this story about what she covered, the recollection of her work in my own mind was immediate and impressive. This will by a void. :-(

41. Shawn Robertson says:

What agreat loss to the family, and the region. Prayers for comfort for the family.

42. Another Jean says:

How terribly sad. She was a pleasure to listen to on the radio, and she will be missed.

Comments are closed.