Program Note: Eagles at Colts (7:00pm) on 94.1 WIP | Phillies at Mets (7:10pm) on 1210 WPHT

Dog Tied To Car & Dragged For More Than 500 Feet, Officials Investigate Cruelty

BRISTOL, Pa. (CBS) — Authorities in Bucks County are investigating another case of possible animal cruelty.

The dog’s name is Bear and he may be in a lot of pain now, but fortunately doctors say the 3-year-old lab mix will be just fine.

Dr. Meg Weil with the Center for Animal Referral and Emergency Services said, “He wasn’t able to walk, so he was carried in, injuries to his paws were pretty severe. I think he’s very lucky this could have ended much more tragically.”

Bear could still need surgery though for the wounds on his chest and his paws will have to be bandaged for up to a month. He suffered the injuries Wednesday morning when he was tethered to the antenna of his owner’s car and dragged for at least 500 feet.

Bear’s owner, Henry Zaragoza, is adamant it was an accident.

“Went back to my car, hook him up to the antenna, he sits under a shade, I read my newspaper, he looks at everybody walking by,” Zaragoza said.

Zaragoza says everyday he takes Bear for a walk along the River in Bristol. He says he took off driving in a rush when his daughter called with an emergency.

“People were yelling and honking the horn, I thought somebody was in a hurry, so when I got on the main road, this guy came running and he’s pointing. So I thought I killed somebody so when I got out of my car, it was my dog. I couldn’t believe it happened,” Zaragoza said.

Zaragoza could face criminal charges. But he says he’s more concerned for Bear’s future without him. Unable to pay for his medical bills, Zaragoza signed over his ownership to the SPCA.

“He is going out for walks. The nurses said he’s prancing in the grass. He did eat some chicken for us today. He’s a very sweet dog, very sweet,” Dr. Weil added.

Watch the video…

So from CARES, Bear will be taken to the Bucks County SPCA where he’ll continue to recover and then eventually be put up for adoption. Authorities say you can follow his progress on their website.

If you are interested in making donations to help pay for his medical bills or adopting Bear down the road, you may call the Bucks County SPCA at (215) 794-7425 or log onto their website: http://www.bcspca.org

Reported by Elizabeth Hur, CBS 3

Top Content On CBSPhilly

Comments

1. RedneckLogic13 aKa Levi Slaughter says:

NAME CALLING? How JUVENILE and typical for someone who has nothing better to do than argue on comment pages. Well you obviously agree that he didnt do this INTENTIONALLY and your REPORTS of the pet being “DIRTY AND SKINNY” and “THE OWNER ADMITTED HE COULD NO LONGER TAKE CARE OF A DOG” are both either MADE UP in your own mind or were FALSELY REPORTED or even mentioned by someone who was NOT a PROFESSIONAL.
    I personally interviewed Two SPCA Employees, the Owner, Two wiitnesses, and a Police Officer who were at the scene and every single one of them said the owner showed IMENSE REMORSE and was not concerned about possible fines or what could happen to HIM but was more concerned about his pet and if he was going to be OK. Also, according to the SPCA your CLAIMS that the PET was “DIRTY and SKINNY” are hog-wash as they reported to us that “OF COURSE the Dog was Dirty! He was Dragged down a Filthy Street! But other than severe shock and the injuries the dog suffered because of the accident, the dog is in Great Health. His weight is Perfect and he is well Hydrated. Other than that he is in Great shape and is a Very Lucky Dog.”
    Now you claim that the OWNER admitted himself that he could NO LONGER TAKE CARE OF A DOG, which happens to be a false statement itself whether it was done with the intent to misdirect anyone who reads this or if it was to make it apear that you know more than you really do, but this is also a FALSE STATEMENT. According to the Police Officer, the SPCA, AND the OWNER, the Dog/Pet was signed over to the SPCA in order to get IMMEDIATE and EMERGENCY TREATMENT for his PET and that while he IS able to afford to care for a dog,, he is UNABLE to afford the ESTIMATED COST of the treatments that were QUOTED due to THIS INCIDENT!” Now there is a HUGE difference in the two if you ask anyone. There are MILLIONS of Americans who own Pets who can afford to take care of them, but CAN NOT AFFORD an EMERGENCY SITUATION if it were to come up.
    Personally I applaud the owner for doing the right thing right away, most would argue and huff and puff while the poor pet suffered. But Many people also agree that the owner was confused, rushed, and quite frankly upset when he drove away in such a frantic and flustered state. Nobody believes he would have EVER hurt his loving pet and best friend and that includes the wiitnesses I interviewed. And the SPCA employees themselves said that had the owner NOT signed over his pet, they would have gotten a warrant and taken it anyway, even if it was already at a Veteranarians office as this is their PROCEEDURE for any report of such an incident is made, so the owner definitely did the right thing either way. And depending upon the the results of the investigation, the owner has a very good chance of getting his pet back.
    So in the end, people have made absent minded mistakes every day. I know I have, haven’t you? Doesn’t everyone? Should THIS OWNER have his BEST FRIEND of 3 years stripped from his arms because of an absent minded mistake? Does this give you the right to be the judge and jury? I wish we could ask the dog if he forgives the owner and if he wants to go home to his best friend, because I would love to hear his answer myself. everyone, even yourself, has said it was an accident and the owner didnt mean to do it, so where is the compassion for a lesson learned? Especially when the person who learned that lesson was so OBVIOUSLY SHAKEN, UPSET, and REMORSEFUL OF HIS NEGLECT?
    RedneckLogic13 aka Levi.Slaughter@gmail.

1. BuckCoResident says:

@RedneckLogic13 aKa Levi Slaughter – you are an idiot if you think that you could know more than me about the condition of the dog! JA I was there with the dog and despite being dragged on the ground his dirtyness was all over and not from the ground as he was dragged on his stomach and paws! I saw it you blabbering jerk! Why don’t you review other artcles in which he states that he could no longer afford the dog. Then read the comments from someone who actually worked on him that mentions signs of previous abuse. I’m not oging to sit here and argue with a jerk who clearly did not read up on this prior to opening his/her big fat mouth. Then talk to me about he being bestfriends with his dog, dogs will love you despite being neglected so shut the F up Jerk!!

2. BuckCoResident says:

The actual distance was 2,200 ft. i was there. When the guy actually stopped his car the dog finally broke free of his collar and rope and ran/limped to the nearest person whom was kneeling on the ground with her hands out for him. We watched as Bear bleed from his wounds and never once did he try to get to his owner whom was pacing back iand forth trying to explain his story. This guy takes his dog to the park for 3 1/2 years as a routine and yet he forgets that he tied him up to his antenna. People are blowing their horns and pointing to the dog dragging behind him in his car for at least 1,500 ft and not once did he look over to his dog and notice he was not with him?!? Though i’m sure it was not intentional, but he was careless and neglectful. This guy cannot afford to take care of his dog and the dog showed signs of neglect, as he was dirty and skinny. If you stupid shortsighted people think that it’s a good idea to give a dog back to an owner whom admitted that he could no longer take care of a dog then you are truely JackA$$es.

3. RedneckLogic13 at Levi.Slaughter@gmail.com says:

It shouldnt matter about the RACE of a person or if he can AFFORD the cost of the Animal Care or NOT! I Donate to the SPCA EVERY YEAR and VOLUNTEER down here in SOUTH TEXAS ALOT too.. But I WOULD QUIT donating down here if OUR SPCA was like this one. I mean, I understand it’s ALL ONE ORGANIZATION, but OUR GROUPS here in SOUTH TEXAS are willing to DONATE THEIR TIME and THEIR MEDICAL KNOWLEDGE amd TREATMENT for situations JUST LIKE THIS! If they can HONESTLY see in their heart that it was an ACCIDENT and the OWNER was TRULY UPSET and more worried about his PET than what could happen to him.. then people.. that is called “LOVE FOR AN ANIMAL!” And It would be a REAL SHAME to take this man’s BEST FRIEND and take the ONLY HUMAN this poor PUPPY TRULY LOVES from one another for what is OBVIOUSLY an HONEST MISTAKE!
    Let this man VISIT HIS PUPPY and see this puppy’s reaction to him. He misses his Owner and best friend too. SPCA asks US TO DONATE and GIVE FROM OUR HEARTS… and WHEN THE SPCA HERE IN TEXAS QUITS SHOWING THAT THEY HAVE A HEART.. IS WHEN I WILL STOP GIVING!!
    GIVE THIS MAN BACK HIS BEST FRIEND AND LET THIS LITTLE PUPPY GO HOME WITH THE ONLY PERSON HE TRULY LOVES!!
    I SAY THE SPCA SHOULD START GIVING BACK TOO! IT WAS AN ACCIDENT!
    Levi Slaughter aka RedneckLogic13

4. Jason Murray says:

I am a total animal lover-truly and it is sad, for both the dog and the owner but here’s what troubles me: in the end we are talking about a dog. How many rapes were there today? How many murders of innocent, tax-paying, americans? How many children were tortured or killed? Get my point? We have desensitized ourselves regarding our fellow humans but weep over the inhumane treatment or death of a dog–and God forbid if its a puppy. Just something I have noticed over the last 10 years of reading the news.

1. RedneckLogic13 says:

I SAY THE SPCA SHOULD START GIVING BACK TOO! IT WAS AN ACCIDENT!
      Levi Slaughter aka RedneckLogic13

2. Zebula says:

You’re an idiot, Jason. You can judge a society by how it treats its animals. One cannot have respect for only certain living things, you can only respect life if you respect all life. Dogs are sentient, they feel pain. As sentient creatures ourselves, we should all be disturbed by this incident. It takes nothing away from the pain of other people that you allude to.

5. rjm2238 says:

Seems to be an accident. That’s understandable. In this country people are supposed to get the benefit of the doubt. You all remember don’t you, something like “innocent until proven guilty”.
    I know it seems like a quaint old philosophy these days but I still hold to it and God help the rest of you if you don’t.
    The day you start locking people up for honest mistakes is the day this country and its citizens become worthless. It could be you next!!!
    Rich in New Mexico.

6. Alexis Morris says:

I am confused, what does race have to do with any of this?

7. Pauli says:

Anothe illegal owning a dog he cannot afford, as well as a family he can’t feed without whitey to pick up the bill.

8. John says:

Donate for care to your local shelter as money from all over the world will pour in for this poor dog but 60% of animals at your local shelter will be put down next week because THEY aren’t famous.

9. jim3888 says:

it worked out better than chevy chase in vacation!

10. ANIMALAURA says:

I’ve seen people get in a hurry and leave their baby strapped in a carrier, sitting on top of the car…. and drive off. The carrier goes flying off the car… and the parents are mortified at their stupidity.

11. Matt Gordon says:

The gentleman’s explanation does seem plausible. In the cases where the animal’s owner was purposely cruel, the cops are able to use their experience with people and a “sixth senxe” they develop in separating fact from fiction. The cops didn’t file charges immediately, so hopefully they are not going to charge the man for a genuine accident, it’s bad enough he can;t afford the vet care for his dog, but he’s also losing custody of the dog.

1. anmluver says:

Having friends who work and volunteer at bucks co. Spca, I found out the man signed the dog over on his own. The humane officer that was there only offered him that option since he was already having trouble affording the care of the dog. Look at bucks county spca’s Facebook page to find out the whole story. The humane officers at bucks county spca are experienced and compassionate, and were sad for both the dog and his owner to have to go through thus situation, but would like to see the best outcome for all involved. Bear is doing well as of this afternoon!

12. Alicia says:

I am a animal lover true to heart and through and through, but accidents happen. When stories like this one happen it is always hard to judge good pet owners from bad pet owners. I say cut the guy some slack on this blog and believe that most people make mistakes, and they are not evil . I do not feel that this was done in any form to harm the pooch, but rather a human error that we all have been guilty of as well. It breaks my heart that this man will loose his friend that he has raised because of a brain fart of forgetting and not being aware, will cause him the loss of his friend and pet. Do not assume anything, we all need start believing that most people in the world are good hearted and not evil monsters that all of us jump to assume they are. Have compassion and show forgiveness to an unfortunate error that Bear was privy to.

1. BAT823 says:

Alicia, I completely agree with you. Accidents happen every day and it is very unfortunate that this happened. The owner seems sincerely sorry, and I feel for him too.

I am looking into adopting this dog. We have been looking for a dog for a while now, and this story just touched my heart. If I am lucky enough to qualify as an apotive ‘parent’, I will make sure that his original owner can visit him once in a while.

1. JRHowosso says:

Kudos BAT823

2. rjm2238 says:

I agree Alicia. I hope that this guy can, in the end keep his dog as long as he can afford to. We enough hounds without homes already. No need to create another.
      Rich in New Mexico.

13. National Lampoon's Vaction says:

“Poor little guy. Probably kept up with you for a mile or so.”

14. Jeff B. says:

What I would to do to that s.of a b., you have no idea. Does he think we believe it was an accident. It is so disgusting that there are people like this walking this planet. I can hardly think straight after seeing the face of that poor dog and the face of that disgusting vile human, for the lack of a better term.

1. JLFLiberty says:

What a forgiving decent soul you are eh?

2. Dogluver says:

Hey Jeff,
      if I accidentally hurt my puppy ( and it WOULD be accidental), and you came over to deride me…..I’d thoroughly enjoy taking out my pain of hurting something I love as much as Bella (my Great Dane) on you! You negatively prejudge, oh and hey newsflash Human fetus’ turn into human babies…wonder how much you care about those babies

3. rjm2238 says:

To Jeff B.
      Why do you believe it was not an accident? Answer that one simple question.
      Why do you believe that? While you are at it how about these,
      What causes you to think that?
      What is your evidence?
      How about an answer to these questions, I’ll wait, but let’s have an answer.
      Rich in New Mexico.

4. JRHowosso says:

You mean like the K9 handler that left the drug dog to die in the squad car…………….Do they ban people that leave their kids in the hot car to die from having more children????? Hope you never make a mistake Jeff

Comments are closed.