Fire Chief Faces Disciplinary Hearing After YouTube Video Surfaces

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Singing the National Anthem doesn’t usually get Battalion Chief John Grillone in trouble, but when a YouTube video surfaced of Grillone singing it in a firehouse, the Philadelphia Fire Commissioner charged that Grillone’s conduct was unbecoming.

“Unfortunately, this is only the beginning,” said Grillone, as he left a disciplinary hearing with his attorney and union representative.

Grillone, a 38-year veteran, is seen singing, eating cookies and talking to co-workers in the video. There was some foul language used as well, but Grillone’s attorney, Alice Ballard, maintains the men were just simply having good clean fun.

Jericka Duncan reports…

Last month, firefighter Charles Tizol was suspended without pay for 4 weeks, since he’s the one who posted the YouTube clips, which were made in the fall of 2009.

The videos were filmed at Engine 71 on Cottman Avenue. Grillone says at the time, he was just trying to boost morale after the deaths of three firefighters.

The disciplinary hearing panel will make a recommendation to the commissioner in the coming days. A spokesman from the commissioner’s office said the fire department has no comment. As of right now, the fire department doesn’t have a social media posting policy in place.

Reported by Jericka Duncan, CBS3

Top Content On CBSPhilly

Comments

1. Frank D Harrisson says:

This might make sence, Loyd Ayers is a black muslim and has issues with our patriotism.

2. D. C. Brandhorst says:

Ayers proves the truth that people are promoted to their level of incompetence. I cannot imagine why the city government would intrust the safety of the citizens and Firefighters to him. Time to send him packing.

3. stephen says:

Really? So a man is getting charged for singing the one song that every person old enough to walk and talk can remember and live by? Im sorry but I have a big problem with that. Firemen risk their lives daily to protect the neighborhoods they live in. They are patriotic to their very core, and give the world for little or nothing in return. Is that how the united states of america treats its hero’s now adays? If it is let me know now. I don’t want to see someone charge me when im overseas, trying to keep the morale of my marines and myself up for singing the national anthem. I grew up around a fire department right outside Philadelphia. I know what goes on there. I know after losing a a brother in cause, everyone needs a morale boost. You all need to get over yourselves and whatever you think you’re protecting. Id like to hear anyone who takes offense to the national anthem, and tell them to get out of this country. We are the land of the free. Free to speak, pray, and act as we wish within the confines of the law. And what chief grillone did was within those confines.

Signed,
    LCpl S.A.M.

4. NS says:

Lloyd Ayers is the one who needs a disciplinary hearing for his gross incompetence, mismanagement of the fire department, and harassment of hard working firefighters. Show Ayers the door and get a real fire commissioner.

5. Joseph Mc Knight says:

It really is ridiculous ! Someone just has too much time on his hands , or might just misunderstand what his job is . Some of these people should be provided with a job discription when they are hired or appointed .

1. Brooke Gillette says:

If we support him on facebook, then the opposition might assist in eradicating this ridiculous action against him! Please do it now!

6. Guess Who says:

What was the offense here?

1. David Hill says:

I’m a pretty smart guy. I try to look at things from a political and social perspective, I try to play devil’s advocate, and I try to make informed and thoughtful decisions. I genuinely don’t understand what the problem is here. If there’s more to this particular, for lack of a better word, charge, I don’t see it in this story.

I don’t understand what the benefit to disciplining this man is. And if there is an ulterior motive, I don’t understand the political or practical upside to THIS being the straw that broke the camel’s back.

Maybe I’m not as smart as I think I am….

2. jeffrey reese says:

I know John. He is one of the most generous people I know. I can’t remember when he let me pay for anything. He also is a very talented singer What he is going throught is very unfare and just silly. Why hurt a guy like him. I’m proud to be his friend. Jeff

7. Stephanie Kennedy says:

This is just crazy. Is it coming to we have nothing better to do than to bring our Fire Fighters up in front of a disciplinary borad for conduct unbecoming. So what are you saying to the people. That a Firefighter that puts his life on the line to save others can’t let his hair down and blow off a little steam. I have seen far worst on syou tube. Get a grip you stuff shirts. I am sure that you have a heart somewhere in your chest. Think back to when you where younger and some of the things that you may ot may not have done. They aren’t out here soliciting for anything. Haven’t you learned anything from the death of the other Fire FIghter, Not saying that that was the reason for him doing what he did, but come on now. This is 2011!!!!!

8. Tim says:

Yea,,especially when the fire commissioner ,,in uniform did this,,,oh,,btw,,nothing happened to him. Beleive me if any othet member of the dept did something like this he’d be suspended for sure

9. Steve says:

This is ridiculous… are we really becoming a society that will be too afraid to post even the most innocent of material? I really don’t understand why he is being reprimanded.

Comments are closed.